A 94-year-old woman was arrested on Friday after she allegedly tried to block the path of the car carrying of the wife of Chinese President Xi JinpingThe elderly woman was the sixth person protestor in two days in connection with the visit of the Chinese President and his wife..The motorcade transporting Madame Peng Liyuan and first lady Melania Trump to Mar-a-Lago after a visit to the Bak Middle School of the Arts in West Palm Beach was at Southern Boulevard and Lake Avenue when the woman “jumped into the middle of the road” in front of Peng’s car, sheriff’s spokeswoman Teri Barbera said.Barbera said the obstruction nearly caused a motorcycle deputy to crash while other deputies had to run into the roadway to hustle the woman out of the way of the motorcade. The woman, identified as Chun Yan Wang, was charged with obstructing a roadway.
Month: August 2020
City of Sunrise TRAFFIC ADVISORY: “Food for Florida” Assistance Distribution Underway at BB&T CenterThe Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF) is hosting a Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP) event at the BB&T Center in Sunrise on November 7, 8 and 9, from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. daily. This is causing significant traffic congestion and gridlock in the entire western portion of Sunrise and Plantation.The D-SNAP event is attracting tens of thousands of people to the BB&T Center, which is far more than attend a regular arena event. Residents are strongly encouraged to avoid this area of the City as much as possible until Thursday evening, November 9, when the event concludes.While this is not a City of Sunrise event, the Sunrise Police Department has coordinated with DCF to provide a significant police presence to maintain a safe environment for residents and guests of our City. We have law enforcement assistance from agencies throughout Broward County and the State Highway Patrol for traffic control and security. While we cannot restrict the number of vehicles attending the event, we are making every effort to mitigate the congestion and ensure your safety.For more information about D-SNAP, please visit the DCF Food for Families website: www.myflfamilies.com/fff.For more on D-SNAP, click the link: D-SNAP food assistance resumes
Last year, Guyana said it would be working with the US based oil giant, ExxonMobil, to develop a long-term relationship founded on transparency, accountability, openness and aligned interests for the good of the country following its newfound wealth. The Guyana government on Friday “welcomed” the announcement that more than 230 feet of high quality oil bearing reservoir has been discovered at the Ranger-1 well in the Stabroek block.Sixth discoveryThis is the sixth discovery of oil off Guyana’s coast since 2015 and the David Granger government said that “this latest discovery represents the largest single find to date and adds to the quantities which have been confirmed in the five previous finds.“The news of an additional find of this magnitude, particularly, at the start of the New Year, can be seen as a further blessing and underscores the richness and diversity of Guyana’s natural resources. Managed prudently, these resources will allow for an enormous transformational effect on the lives of every Guyanese in the years ahead,” the statement said.The government said that this latest discovery is results from the partnership with Esso Exploration and Production Guyana Limited, CNOOC Nexen Petroleum Guyana Limited and Hess Guyana Exploration Limited.Bountiful discoveriesThe Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) said it is particularly pleased that its strategy of engagement with Esso Exploration/CNOOC/Hess and its partners “is leading to bountiful discoveries, and overall, the government is elated that Esso Exploration/CNOOC/Hess remain ahead of their exploration schedule for the entire Stabroek block.”Stakeholders should act responsiblyThe government said it remains committed to all efforts for the safe and efficient development of the offshore Guyana basin and was calling on “all stakeholders to act responsibly and patriotically as Guyana continues its thrust into this new sector and as news and events continue to unfold about the extent of the oil reserves offshore and the manifold opportunities and benefits for the Guyanese people.”
More interactive food, dance and mixology on Friday, March 9th at the Caribbean Marketplace at the Little Haiti Cultural Complex. Headlining this edition is Haiti’s Chef Thia and New Orleans’ Chef Gason Nelson.Get ready South Florida! for Spice It Up! Miami – Jazz in The Gardens Edition (JITG). The official JITG pre-event kicks-off on March 9th from 7pm to 10pm, featuring a New Orleans, Cajun-creole flavor and flair. Top chefsSpice It Up kicks off the 2018 season with two-time James Beard Scholar and New Orleans favorite son, Private Chef, Gason Nelson, voted one of Louisiana’s top 25 chefs of 2017. Nelson has cooked for Dwayne, The Rock Johnson, Matthew McConaughey, Sinbad, Reggie Bush and the Kardashians and many other famous clients. The good times continue to roll as Gason’s co-host, is none other than, author, social media taste-master and the first female winner of the global ambassador chef challenge, Chef Thia Verna. Chef Verna, an accomplished culinary expert is the first Haitian chef to host a nationally televised cooking show, Taste the Islands, airing on PBS and CreateTV®. Also, an accomplished author, her current cookbook, 50 Favorite Haitian Recipes, is on sale at Amazon. Taught Caribbean-fusion recipesSpice It Up Miami attendees will learn how to make some of the most delectable Caribbean-fusion recipes and New Orleans inspired dishes from two master chefs. Guests will take a magical, fusion flavored gastronomic ride while vying for a chance to win tickets to the 2018 musical event of the year in Miami Gardens, Jazz In The Gardens! #SpiceItUpMiami is a culinary experience that takes place at the Caribbean Marketplace cultural destination located at the Little Haiti Cultural Complex, 5925 NE 2nd Avenue in Miami. The event is one of a kind must attend experience that highlights the cultural heritage of Little Haiti. Tickets are only $65 and can be purchased atwww.spiceitupmiami2018.eventbrite.com. Other fun elements of the night include mixology techniques for the art of a perfect homemade tropical cocktail; learning the latest hip dance moves of meringue, bachata, compas, reggae and more where attendees can work off the delicious meal they learned to prepare. Spice It Up Miami! is sponsored by Little Haiti Cultural Complex, the City of Miami Gardens, Chefs of the Caribbean, Show Technology, Netwire and the Miami Urban Contemporary Experience.
With Hurricane Florence making landfall in North Carolina on Friday, the Jamaican Ambassador to the United States is giving reassurances that the Jamaican authorities are working closely with state and hotel officials to ensure the safety of Jamaican guest workers in the affected region of the U.S. east coast. Jamaican Ambassador, Audrey P. Marks, has stated that the Jamaican Embassy has been actively monitoring the situation, along with the officers of the Jamaica Central Labour Organisation (JCLO), who are in constant contact with all of the guest workers, mainly in the hotel sector, in the areas affected by the hurricane. Everything is being done to ensure these workers are safe, Ambassador Marks stressed.In constant contactMrs. Debbie Hutchinson, the liaison officer who has responsibility for that area, is in constant contact with all of the workers and is monitoring the situation. Ms. Hutchinson has been getting updates which state that so far, everyone is well.Where any need arises for these workers to be relocated, it is being done, Ambassador Marks has further assured.Workers at OMNI HiltonOne hundred and one (101) workers will be relocating from OMNI Hilton Head in South Carolina to OMNI Champions Gate in Orlando, Florida. The JCLO liaison officer has also been in contact with the human resources director of OMNI Hilton Head, Dorothy Beeks, who would be accompanying the workers to Orlando. She also reported that all is well.Workers at Sonesta Resort Sixty workers from Sonesta Resort in South Carolina were identified for relocation to the Sonesta Hotel in Orlando, Florida. The Governor of South Carolina has since recalled the evacuation order for the southern counties. Consequently, Sonesta Resort delayed moving the workers to Orlando.The JCLO has been assured by the Sonesta Resort General Manager that he would relocate the workers from staff housing to the hotel on Saturday if it becomes necessary.Workers at Sea Island One hundred and fifty one (151) workers at Sea Island in Georgia are in preparation mode if an evacuation order is issued. The property is no longer in the path of danger. Therefore, there is no need for evacuation.Workers at Kingston Plantation HotelNinety Seven (97) workers at Kingston Plantation Hotel in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, were relocated to the North Myrtle Beach High School. They are presently being accommodated in the hallways. Catastrophic flooding is expected in Myrtle Beach and in the north eastern part of South Carolina.
The 2019 edition of the Caribbean festival of Arts (CARIFESTA), the region’s premier arts festival, will be launched in Trinidad and Tobago on Tuesday next week, the Guyana-based Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Secretariat has announced.It said that Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley and his Minister of Community Development, Culture and the Arts, Dr. Nyan Gadsby and the Program Manager for Culture and Community Development at the CARICOM Secretariat, Dr. Hilary Brown, will address the launch of CARIFESTA XIV.The Secretariat said that the roving Caribbean Festival of Arts will be held in Trinidad and Tobago from August 16-25 next year under the theme ‘The Tangible and Intangible – Connect, Share, Invest’.It said planning for the Festival started in late 2017 and a meeting of the Interim Festival Directorate (IFD) was convened by videoconference in April 2018, followed by a meeting of the Regional Cultural Committee (RCC) in Guyana in June 2018.“Directors of Culture as well as representatives from various Regional Cultural stakeholders converged at the CARICOM Secretariat to discuss cultural matters, chief of which was CARIFESTA XIV. Issues such as leveraging CARICOM’s cultural assets, Reparations for Native Genocide and Slavery, Animation and financing culture, were also on the agenda,” the Secretariat said.It said that the 16th meeting of the Interim Festival Directorate (IFD) and a meeting of the Regional Cultural Committee (RCC) Working Group will also be convened in Port-of-Spain.
MIAMI, Florida – The Superbowl LIV has come and gone and while you may be either extremely excited that your team won or totally devastated over the unexpected loss, one thing is for certain; the Caribbean parade and concert during the Super Bowl LIVE programming at Bayfront Park was one of the highlights over Superbowl weekend in Miami.Bayfront Park played home to a weekend of programming by the Super Bowl Host Committee of which Friday was dedicated to showcasing the diverse communities and unique cultures represented across Miami.The program, which was organized by Aifos Agency Inc, kicked off with a parade featuring LIVE Junkanoo and Moko Jumbies from the Bahamas, Fashion and Dance from Jamaica, Costumes and Steelpan from Trinidad & Tobago and the Haitian RaRa all of which filled the downtown area with the sounds of a proud region.The welcoming program was a crowd favorite as many were seen snapping photos and streaming live on social media, while others decided to join in on the fun and participated in the mile-long parade.The evening ended with a LIVE orchestra fusion performance by Miami’s Nu Deco Ensemble and Miami-native and Grammy-winning producer, Walshy Fire (Jamaica) who closed the evening with a unique orchestral presentation of some of his most popular music. The evening also featured a performance by J. Perry (Haiti), a number of interactive experiences from sponsors and an amazing fireworks show to end a perfect evening.“I love that Caribbean culture is represented here because it makes up so much of what makes Miami, Miami. I’m happy!” states Erica Knowles who attended the event over multiple days at Bayfront Park.Open and free to the public the weekend was full of programming and contributed to what we can chalk up as overall a great experience and a huge win for the Caribbean community who got their night to shine.Following the Superbowl, Aifos Agency Inc sent a special thank you to Lila Nikole, Euphoria Mas, Steel Away Productions, DJ Savage Won and all who made the evening a memorable one.
EDWARDSVILLE, Pa. – For the second-straight week, the Stevenson football team had a 100-yard rusher and a 100-yard receiver, but a safety with 4:14 remaining in the fourth quarter gave Wilkes a two possession lead and the Colonels ran out the clock as they held rallied and held on for a 43-34 victory Saturday at Schmidt Stadium.The Mustangs (2-8, 1-7 MAC) finished their inaugural season with its third consecutive 100-yard rusher as junior C.J. Hopson (Lusby/Patuxent) ran for 118 yards and one score.Stevenson also had a 100-yard receiver for the second-straight game and sixth time this season as freshman Jae DeShields (Bridgeton, N.J./Bridgeton) finished with his fourth 100-yard game in eight games this season with eight catches for 167 yards and career-high three touchdowns.Trailing 41-20 with 4:01 to play in the third quarter following a 10-yard touchdown pass from Alex George to Kyle Driscoll, Stevenson answered with back-to-back scoring drives to pull within seven, 41-34 with 12:28 left in the fourth quarter.DeShields hauled in his third touchdown pass of the game with 1:35 remaining in the third quarter before freshman Ryan Crawley (North Babylon, N.Y./North Babylon) scored on a 3-yard run for his third touchdown of the season, all in the last three games.Following Crawley’s touchdown, Wilkes (4-5, 4-4 MAC) drove 61 yards in 14 plays, down to the Mustang 2-yard line with under six minutes to play. Looking to seal the game with a touchdown, the Stevenson defense preserved the one possession lead for the Colonels after freshman Jaron Cody (Bridgeton, N.J./Cumberland) forced a fumble on second-and-goal that was recovered by freshman Donnell Brown (Baltimore/Poly).Looking at 98 yards with two timeouts, the Stevenson offense began its 12th drive of the game with an opportunity to tie or win the game with 5:40 remaining.After an incomplete pass and rushes by Crawley and Hopson, the Mustangs were facing a fourth-and-2 from their own 10-yard line with 4:21 left following their second timeout of the game. The team elected to punt and rely on its defense for a stop, giving the offense one more shot at a game-tying or game-winning drive.Lined up in punt formation, the snap went over the head of freshman Brad Cummings (Dundalk/Old Mill) and out of the back of the end zone, give Wilkes a two possession lead with just over four minutes to play.Stevenson had one last opportunity with 3:13 remaining as the Colonels faced a third-and-5 at their own 43-yard line following the Mustangs’ final timeout.However, George picked up eight yards on a quarterback scramble and Wilkes effectively ran the clock down to 15 seconds to play before turning the ball over on downs.The Colonels were 11-of-19 on third-down conversions in the game and converted 4-of-4 on fourth down with two touchdowns before turning it over with 15 seconds remaining.The Mustangs led or were tied for the majority of the first half before a 1-yard run by George with 54 seconds left in the first half gave Wilkes its first lead, 27-20. The touchdown was the third of five-straight scoring drives for the Colonels as they rallied from a 20-14 deficit with 27 consecutive points to take a 41-20 lead.DeShields finished the season with 848 yards and 11 touchdowns receiving, both team-highs, while sophomore Jeromie Miller (Reisterstown/Franklin) totaled a team-best 52 receptions.Hopson concluded his first season at Stevenson with a team-high 680 yards rushing and four scores while completing 51.7 percent of his passes, 123-for-238, for 1,863 yards and 20 touchdowns.Meanwhile, Brown totaled 18 tackles on Saturday, including 16 solo, and finishes his first collegiate season as the MAC leader in tackles with 126.
The management of Bet9ja Nigeria National League, NNL, has given Mr.Moses Etu the president of Delta Force FC of Asaba till Wednesday, 9th August, 2017 to appear as a matter of urgency before its Compliance Arm to answer to his his purported accusation (s) on match fixing in the League or face mandatory sanctions.Mr.Etu in his Club’s Facebook page fingered certain influential person (s) of Delta State extraction ,residing in Lagos that he could not name as already neck deep in fixing matches in the Nigeria National League, in the match day Twenty five (25) in the Southern involving Bayelsa United, a development the management of Bet9ja NNL seriously frowns at.Chief Operating Officer, COO ,of the League,Mr.Lawrence Katken says the development is utterly disparaging and a deliberate attempt to grossly discredit the most competitive League and Nigeria’s Football.Mr.Katken further stated that the exigent summon issued Mr.Etu is to enable the NNL verify details of the allegation from him and for Mr.Etu to refute or otherwise substantiate his claims of match fixing as he noticed or perceived in the League.Mr.Lawrence Katken declared that in the event of a refusal by Mr.Etu to heed the directives bybthe NNL to appear before the Compliance Unit ,the League management would have no option than to accordingly discipline and sanction him and or Delta Force Football Club.RelatedNigeria National League: Delta Force FC President Suspended IndefinitelyAugust 15, 2017In “Nigeria”Ianis HagiJune 30, 2017Similar postRemo Stars Lock Horns with NNL over Super 8December 13, 2018In “Nigeria”
“UEFA’s member associations ratified two representatives of the European Club Association (ECA) to sit on the UEFA Executive Committee as full members for a four-year term of office: Andrea Agnelli (Juventus FC/Italy) and Ivan Gazidis (Arsenal FC/England).” UEFA’s official website stated.RelatedUEFA to Launch Third Tier European Competition Alongside Champions League and Europa LeagueDecember 3, 2018In “Europe”Čeferin To Return As UEFA PresidentNovember 10, 2018In “Europe”CAS: Manchester City 2-Year Champions League Ban OverturnedJuly 13, 2020In “England” Arsenal Chief Executive, Ivan Gazidis has been officially appointed as a member of UEFA’s Executive Committee on a four-year term.Following UEFA’s 13th Extraordinary Congress in Geneza, Switzerland, Gazidis, and Chairman of Italian giants Juventus, Andrea Agnelli were “ratified” into the executive committee as representatives of the European Club Association (ECA).