The Special Tribunal for Lebanon said that the court’s Pre-Trial Judge, Daniel Fransen, had received a submission declining to seek continued detention of the generals from Prosecutor Daniel Bellemare on Monday.The prosecutor concluded that the evidence was insufficient at this time to warrant filing indictments against Jamil Mohamad Amin El Sayed, Ali Salah El Dine El Hajj, Raymond Fouad Azar or Mostafa Fehmi Hamdan.On 15 April, Judge Fransen ordered the prosecutor to file, by 27 April 2009, reasoned submissions stating whether or not he requested the continued holding of the generals, who had been detained by Lebanese authorities since 2005.The judge stressed that that it is a fundamental right, enshrined in all human rights instruments, that any individual arrested or detained be brought promptly before a judge to rule on his or her status.In declining to seek the continued detention, Mr. Bellemare said that he was guided by three basic legal principles: the presumption of innocence, the principle that detention of persons presumed innocent must always be the exception and not the rule, and the need for sufficiency of credible and admissible evidence. The Tribunal, an independent body located in The Hague, is designed to try those accused of a series of recent political murders in Lebanon, particularly the February 2005 bombing that killed Mr. Hariri and 22 others in downtown Beirut.It took over from the Beirut-based International Independent Investigation Commission (IIIC) in the beginning of March 2009. The investigation of the murders continues under the guidance of Prosecutor Bellemare, who also headed the probe while the case rested with the IIIC, and a trial will take place when he has sufficient evidence in place.“The scope of the investigation is broad and remains focused on its objective: to assist the court in establishing the truth by uncovering credible and legally admissible evidence that can lead to the filing of indictments and, later, trials,” the prosecutor wrote in his Monday submission.Asked by journalists in New York about the position of Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on the releases, UN spokesperson Farhan Haq stressed the independence of the Tribunal.“The Secretary-General was not involved in earlier decisions to detain people or today’s decision to release them. He respects the independence of the process,” Mr. Haq said. 29 April 2009A judge in the tribunal set up to try suspects in the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafiq Hariri today decided to grant the release of four generals detained in connection with the 2005 bombing.
Rohana was sentenced to death by an Abu Dhabi court after being convicted on charges of murder, breaking into a house and having an illicit affair with a woman. “I’m asking for forgiveness from all that others have endured because of me,” Rohana said. The executed man’s belongings were given to his friend.Police released the body of Rohana to his relative and friend for burial. (Gulf News) A man was executed on Thursday morning by firing squad in Abu Dhabi after being convicted of murdering an Emirati Engineer in Al Ain in 2002.Sources confirmed that 36-year-old Alex Rohana, a Sri Lankan, was executed at 7am in the presence of a judge, general public prosecutor, Imam, doctor and police officials. Rohana converted to Islam in 2008. He asked his friend on Wednesday not to inform his mother or daughter that he had been executed. Rohana stabbed to death Mohammad Obaid Al Muhairi, a 39-year-old father of eight children.Al Muhairi was the deputy head of the engineering section at Al Ain Municipality and Town Planning Department. Blood parents of the victim refused to waive their rights or pardon the killer.A day before his execution, Rohana told Gulf News over the phone from a cell in solitary confinement that he regretted what he did and that he accepted his destiny. Rohana also said that police officials and the prison warden had been very kind and supportive. Rohana, a father of one daughter who worked for a company in Fujairah, was having an affair with a Sri Lankan housemaid during the time of the attack. On the night of the murder Rohana went to meet the woman at her sponsor’s house in Al Ain to spend the night with her in her room.While the couple were together, the Al Muhairi woke up for morning prayers and when he heard strange noises coming from the housemaid’s room he went to check. The housemaid reportedly denied that someone else was in her room.Rohana tried to run away but was caught by Al Muhairi, they fought and Rohana attacked Al Muhairi, stabbing him to death in his chest with a knife.
“With coxswain John Blakeston at the command, the lifeboat proceeded to the scene off Gyllyngvase beach, arriving shortly after 6.20am. The lifeboat has been standing by the vessel since to ensure everyone’s safety.”The volunteers have missed a day at work and have re-arranged their plans for the day to help the situation, illustrating their dedication and commitment to saving lives at sea”. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings. However, the deputy director of the Murmansk Shipping Company, which owns the Kuzma Minin, said the ship had become stuck due to “unsafe shipping conditions” off the British coast.Murmansk is one of the primary shipping companies operating in northern Europe and Arctic Russia “The ship got caught on some sort of chain that was on the bottom of the strait,” Ildar Neverov told state news agency RIA Novosti.”That is to say there were unsafe shipping conditions in the place where the ship was located. As a result, it passed some distance out of control and ran aground. The situation is under control.” An incredible sight here at Gylly beach in #Falmouth where a huge cargo ship has run aground. Updates at @CornwallLive pic.twitter.com/lJUKmp9Zul— Graeme Wilkinson (@Graemewilki) December 18, 2018 He said that he may bring legal action, adding: “We will clearly state our position on the fact that the conditions for safe navigation in this area have not been created… we will definitely look at recovery of damages.”The Falmouth coastguard declined to comment.It was thought that the weather conditions contributed to the accident, and Met Office had issued a yellow warning for severe weather with 65mph winds forecast. Gales were recorded at up to 74mph in Cornwall and 40 knots on the River Tamar – disrupting traffic.Former Falmouth senior pilot captain David Barnicoat told BBC Radio Cornwall: “It’s a classic grounding in bad weather and strong winds. The wind overnight was pretty horrendous. Where I live I hadn’t heard wind like it for quite a few years. The massive vessel, believed to be the Kuzma Minin, grounded off Gyllyngvase Beach in Falmouth at about 05:40 GMT. pic.twitter.com/d9XIuMdS4N— Mike Beard (@1stdefence) December 18, 2018 Volunteers battled through gale force 9 winds to get the Kuzma Minin which had sailed from the Netherlands to the UK some days previously, safely afloat.There were worries that if they did not manage to float it at high tide, around 1.15pm, they would have to wait until the tide came back in at around 1am, leaving the crew members stuck onboard. Luckily, they managed to tug it out to sea at around 2.30pm.Dramatic footage showed a coastguard pilot being winched onto the ship from a helicopter to help those on board. The Kuzma Minin cargo ship grounded off FalmouthCredit: PA /Nigel Kitto/@NDK72 The Falmouth coastguard has been contacted for comment about the safety of the shipping conditions. The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) said the 590ft ship had dragged its anchor and has a list of about five degrees.The RNLI added: “Falmouth RNLI volunteers have been afloat since 6.15am in horrendous conditions assisting a 16,000 tonne Russian cargo ship which ran aground off Gyllyngvase beach earlier this morning (Tuesday 18 December).”Volunteer crews were woken abruptly to the sound of their pagers shortly after 6am, with a request from Falmouth Coastguard to launch the all-weather lifeboat Richard Cox Scott. The captain of a Russian cargo ship which ran aground in Cornwall before being rescued by the British coastguard has blamed “unsafe” UK shipping conditions and threatened legal action.The ship had more than 100 faults at its latest inspection and was held in the Netherlands for seven months before driving to the UK. However, the company has blamed unsafe conditions and said it could bring legal action to recoup the cost of damage to the ship and the Russian Embassy has launched an investigation.The 16,000 tonne ship was grounded in the early hours of Tuesday morning and the Falmouth coastguard and the RNLI undertook a day-long mission to rescue it and its 18 crew members. “It sounds as if she dragged anchor and the engines may not have been ready or she may have had some other problem. Once that anchor breaks from the sea bed and you start dragging then you have no control whatsoever.” #kuzmaMinin grounded at #Gyllingvase #Falmouth has been successfully refloated pic.twitter.com/Rt9wAsh99k— m k (@fuzzier1) December 18, 2018