Category: chisjbgg

Legal Expert Says Army Corps Rejection of Permit for Gateway Coal Export Terminal Looks “Pretty Air Tight”

No Comments

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Christopher Coats in SNL:Few options have emerged for reviving the Gateway Pacific coal export terminal in Washington following the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ recent decision to halt permitting of the controversial project, according to stakeholders involved.On May 9, the Corps announced that it halted the permitting process for the terminal in response to a challenge from the Lummi Nation over fishing waters protected by tribal agreements. The project would have been one of the largest coal terminals ever built in the U.S.Project-backer SSA Marine, which previously suspended its own environmental review, stopped short of offering any clear plan for challenging the Corps’ decision when it was announced. However, a representative did tell S&P Global Market Intelligence that it is exploring all possible options for reviving the project.Mark Squillace, a University of Colorado law professor and former member of the U.S. Department of the Interior solicitor’s office, cast some doubt on the ability to challenge the decision in court. Squillace called the case “pretty air tight.”Specifically, Squillace cited a part of the decision that stated: “To evaluate impacts on treaty fishing rights, the Corps conducts a de minimis determination to determine whether the impacts to treaty fishing rights are of legal significance. If it is legally significant, then Congressional authorization would be required to allow the impact. The process includes request for specific information in the form of declarations regarding the Lummi’s fishing and crabbing activities at or near the proposed project.”“Importantly … the company does not appear to contest this point so it does not seem like it could be raised on appeal,” Squillace said. “And if that is indeed the legal standard, then I think the Corps has offered a solid justification for their decision.”For that reason, he said the court would be unlikely to find the Corps’ actions “arbitrary and capricious.”“It would not surprise me if the company appeals and there may be procedural issues that are not evident from the face of the decision, but on the merits I think the Corps is on pretty solid ground,” Squillace said.Full article $:   https://www.snl.com/InteractiveX/article.aspx?ID=36496440&KPLT=4 Legal Expert Says Army Corps Rejection of Permit for Gateway Coal Export Terminal Looks “Pretty Air Tight”last_img read more

Chubb becomes first U.S. insurer to put limits on its coal sector exposure

No Comments

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Reuters:Insurer Chubb Ltd on Monday decided to cut its exposure to operators of coal-powered plants and said it will not underwrite new risks for companies that generate more than 30% of their revenue from coal.Chubb said for existing coal plants insurance coverage for risks that exceed this threshold will be phased out by 2022, and for utilities beginning in 2022. Additionally, it will also not invest in companies that generate more than 30% of revenue from thermal coal mining or energy production from coal.Chubb joins other financial institutions, including Lloyds Banking Group, Hannover Re and Allianz Group, in scaling back its exposure to coal.At least 34 coal divestment or restriction policy announcements have been made by financial institutions since the start of 2018, according to a report published in February by the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis.Chubb said the exceptions to the new policy will be considered until 2022, taking into account an insured company’s commitment to reduce coal dependence and also regions that do not have practical near-term alternative energy sources.The company’s new coal policy is expected to have minimal impact on premium revenue and no impact on investment performance, Chubb said.More: Insurer Chubb decides to cut exposure to coal Chubb becomes first U.S. insurer to put limits on its coal sector exposurelast_img read more

Setauket Hit-and-run Driver Kills Man

No Comments

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Suffolk County police are looking for a hit-and-run that killed a 47-year-old pedestrian in his hometown of Setauket early Friday morning.Joseph Santiago was struck by a westbound vehicle on Ridgeway Avenue at 1:20 a.m., police said.The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.Vehicular Crime Unit detectives are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information about the crash to contact them at 631-852-6555 or call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.last_img

Emily Harrington Is First Woman to Free-Climb El Capitan Route in Less Than a Day

No Comments

first_imgThe climb went smoothly until she attempted a difficult pitch in the sun around noon on Wednesday. Her fingers were so slick with sweat that she slipped off, she said, so she rested for 30 minutes and tried again. She slipped off again, this time smacking her head against the wall as she swung on the rope. Suddenly, she said, there was “blood everywhere, spewing out from my head.”She flashed back to a brutal fall she suffered last year while attempting the same climb, one that sent her to a hospital. But after checking her vital signs and bandaging her head, she put her hands on the rock once more.- Advertisement – “There was part of me that wanted to give up and the other part of me was like, ‘You owe it to yourself to try again,’” she said. “Then I just had one of those attempts where it was an out-of-body experience, like, ‘I can’t believe I’m still holding on, I can’t believe I’m still holding on,’ and then I was finished with the pitch.”Ms. Harrington, who grew up in Colorado, has been climbing since she was 10. She is a five-time sport climbing U.S. national champion and a two-time North American champion. She scaled Mount Everest and Mont Blanc in 2012, and Ama Dablam in 2013.Free-climbing El Capitan, she said, requires strength, stamina, technical skill and the fitness to endure a day of exertion.- Advertisement – – Advertisement –center_img It’s unclear how many people in total have free-climbed El Capitan in under 24 hours, but the American Alpine Club, a climbing organization, estimates that only 15 to 25 climbers have pulled it off. The first to do so was Lynn Hill, whose scaling of El Cap in 1994, following the Nose route, remains one of the most famous ascents in rock climbing.Free-climbing El Cap is still very much “a male-dominated thing, despite the fact that Lynn was the first to do it,” Ms. Harrington said. “I always received so much advice from men, people telling me how I should do things, how I’m doing it wrong, but in the end I just decided to do it anyway despite the fact that a lot of people felt that maybe I couldn’t or maybe I didn’t belong there.”last_img read more

Lionel Messi was ‘tempted’ to follow Cesc Fabregas to Arsenal, reveals former agent

No Comments

first_imgAdvertisement Comment Metro Sport ReporterTuesday 22 Sep 2020 11:05 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link740Shares Advertisement Messi could have joined Fabregas at Arsenal (Picture: Getty Images)Lionel Messi’s former agent, Fabian Soldini, has revealed the Barcelona icon was ‘tempted’ to follow Cesc Fabregas in moving to Arsenal back in 2003.The Gunners were interested in the Argentine while he was in Barca’s La Masia academy, but a move never materialised due to work permit issues.Fellow academy star Fabregas, however, did end up making the move to Arsenal and enjoyed a successful eight-year spell at the club, before eventually switching back to the Catalan giants in 2011. Lionel Messi was ‘tempted’ to follow Cesc Fabregas to Arsenal, reveals former agent Messi has returned to action for Barca (Picture: Getty Images)Messi’s former representative during his youth days, Soldini, admitted that the winger considered a transfer to north London.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘[Messi] was tempted to go to Arsenal, but he didn’t go,’ he told Marca.‘I remember the day that Cesc asked to leave. Messi was also asked to go, but he didn’t want to leave.’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalEx-Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has claimed Arsenal were ‘close’ to signing Messi, but in a recent interview with BBC Sport, former scout Francis Cagigao admitted that while Wenger’s claims may have been slightly overblown, talks between the two parties did in fact take place.‘I think Arsene stated while manager that we were close to signing Messi [in 2003]. I wouldn’t go as far as saying we were close,’ he told BBC Sport.‘We were there or thereabouts and discussions took place with his representatives. He had issues with a work permit, so that was discarded.’MORE: Diego Simeone contacts Lucas Torreira as Atletico Madrid target loan deal with ArsenalMORE: Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta confirms no talks have started yet over new Alexandre Lacazette contractFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and InstagramFor more stories like this, check our sport pagelast_img read more

Napoleon State Bank opens second branch in Greensburg

No Comments

first_imgGreensburg, IN—The Napoleon State Bank officially opened its second Greensburg location on the corner of Lincoln Street and Fourth Street Wednesday after their ribbon cutting ceremony. The Grand Opening celebrations will take place through June 22nd, including free Kona Ice snow cones today from 1-5pm.The public is invited to stop in and register for door prizes valued at more than $1,500, meet the staff, and take home a complimentary goodie bag. “We are excited to extend our services in the Greensburg area and offer a convenient location for residents and businesses,” Kathy Kelso, Westridge and Lincoln Street Branch Manager said. “Everyone is encouraged to stop in and say hello.” The Napoleon State Bank Lincoln Street location began when the bank purchased the property in September 2017, and groundbreaking began in October 2018. The new building was designed by K4 Architecture, LLC and Bruns-Gutzwiller Inc. was the general contractor. The bank will have 7 Full-time staff serving at this location, including a Lender. “We are excited to open our second location in Greensburg on Lincoln Street. This branch will offer more conveniences to customers in a different part of town and will be an extension of our branch on Westridge Parkway,” said Mark Comer, CEO/President. “This is an exciting time in our 116-year history as a locally owned bank. We appreciate our staff, contractors and architects that have made this branch a reality.”The Napoleon State Bank has been locally owned since 1903 and serves the Ripley and Decatur counties of Southeastern Indiana with six locations in Napoleon, Holton, Osgood, Greensburg, and Westport. The mission of Page 2 The Napoleon State Bank is to remain a locally owned financial institution, dedicated to providing a broad range of services to our customers and communities, through a friendly, trained, qualified staff that provides unsurpassed personal service to our customers. The Napoleon State Bank has a total of 81 full and part-time employees. Member FDIC & Equal Housing Lender.last_img read more

CPD investigating armed robbery

No Comments

first_imgColumbus, IN — Investigators from the Columbus Police Department (CPD) are investigating an armed robbery that occurred at a Columbus pharmacy early Thursday morning. CPD officers were dispatched to the reported robbery at Walgreens, located on Beam Road, around  5 am.It was determined that a white male with a slender build wearing a blue face covering, flannel shirt, gray sweatpants, and dark shoes entered the pharmacy and stated that he had a firearm. The man fled the pharmacy on foot a short time later with an undisclosed amount of US currency.The incident remains under investigation by the Columbus Police Department Detective Division. Anyone with information in regards to this case is urged to contact the Columbus Police Department at 812-376-2600. Tips and information can be submitted anonymously.last_img read more

Officer who shot Rayshard Brooks charged with felony murder

No Comments

first_imgFulton County District Attorney Paul Howard said that his office was filing charges against the two police officers involved in the shooting death of Rayshard Brooks.Garrett Rolfe, who was fired from the Atlanta Police Department following the shooting, has been charged with felony murder, four counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and several violations of his oath of office. Officer Devin Brosnan has been charged with aggravated assault and several violations of his oath of office.Surveillance video and footage from police body and dashboard cameras show the encounter the officers had with Brooks at  a Wendy’s restaurant on Friday.In the video, the officers approach Brooks who was asleep in his car, and after a brief discussion, Brooks was submitted to a field sobriety test, which he failed.Brooks offered to lock his parked car and walk home, but police informed him he would be taken into custody. After a struggle Brooks grabbed Brosnan’s stun gun and tried to flee the scene. Rolfe shot Brooks in the back when Brooks pointed the stun gun in his direction.Brooks later died in surgery at a local hospital.Howard said that Brooks’ demeanor during a 41-minute discussion — Howard described him as “jovial” — played a part in his office’s decision to charge the officers.“Mr. Brooks never presented himself as a threat,” Howard said.Howard also noted that Brooks was never informed that he was under arrest, and he was “grabbed from behind” by officers before a struggle ensued.While describing his office’s decision, Howard also noted that the officers failed to apply medical attention to Brooks for more than two minutes after shooting him. He added that Rolfe kicked Brooks, and Brosnan stood on Brooks’ shoulder.“The officers’ actions did not reflect fear toward Brooks,” Howard said.Howard said Brosnan admitted to standing on Brooks as part of his cooperation as a state’s witness in the case against Rolfe.Howard recommended Brosnan be released on $50,000 bond upon his arrest. He also recommended no bond for Rolfe.The shooting sparked new demonstrations in Georgia’s capital against police brutality, after occasionally turbulent protests in response to George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis had largely simmered down.last_img read more

Fourth day called off in first hour

No Comments

first_imgAll efforts to get the Queen’s Park Oval ready for play were given up in the very first hour of the fourth day. At around 10.25hrs, the fourth day was called off.Since the early morning on day two of the Test, there had been barely an hour of rain, but the outfield was in such a bad state that not a ball was bowled for three days.The ground was not fully covered, it didn’t have a super sopper, and Test cricket went through another surreal day of no action.With the Test certain to end as a draw, Pakistan were all set to become the new No. 1 Test team; India needed to win this Test to retain their top spot.(ESPN Cricinfo).last_img

Guinness Georgetown leg winners presented with prizes

No Comments

first_img… Baptiste chides indisciplined teamsTHE winners of the recently concluded Guinness Greatest of the Streets Football Challenge were yesterday morning presented with their monetary prizes and trophies at a simple ceremony.Held at the Banks DIH Sports Club at Thirst Park, winners Sparta Boss collected their $500 000 and trophy after they beat Tucville, who pocketed $200 000 and a trophy.Third- and fourth-place winners Back Circle and Broad Street also picked up their earnings of $150 000 and $75 000 respectively after Friday’s presentation ceremony that preceded the game that was washed out by rain.Speaking yesterday, Guinness Brand Manager Lee Baptiste scolded those teams who showed indiscipline, adding that those behaviours will be met with the harsh penalties in the coming legs.“For the first time we had a main sponsor for the uniforms and I had to be going every night to ensure that the teams wore their uniforms. A whole team came out without their uniforms and we had to stop the whole night’s proceedings for them to go and get their uniforms. That’s not going to happen anymore,” Baptiste said.He continued, “From the next sub-meet, you come on the court without your uniform, socks, trunks T-shirt, (if) it’s one player, (he/she) cannot play; the whole team (without uniform), the whole team cannot play; immediate walkover. It’s got to stop.”He, however, lauded the various winners, reminding that they are not only brand ambassadors for their community but now, their region adding that on-field play has improved drastically.“The officials were just telling me that we had only one yellow card for the entire tournament which was a high improvement from the previous one.”Also in attendance yesterday was Director of Sport Christopher Jones who said that government is taking note of the work that Guinness is doing in the communities and will do its bit to support that initiative.“We at the National Sports Commission are continuing to have discussions with the Ministry of Finance. We want to see that the ministry can provide to companies/corporate Guyana, who would lend support to the development of sports,” he added.He continued, ‘Tax breaks, tax exemptions; tax holidays and so forth,” are what the Sport Director indicated are the recommendations on the table by the NSC, adding that he is hopeful in 2017 those discussions can be realised.Meanwhile, Colours representatives indicated that they were pleased to be on board for a second year running and were pleased at the support that they have seen.The top four teams will move onto the regional front with the next leg set for late January.last_img read more