Fire guts Sophia home, 12 homeless
A fire of unknown origin on Sunday afternoon gutted a B Field, Sophia, Greater Georgetown house leaving at least 12 persons homeless.The fire reportedly started just after midday in the lower flat of the building and quickly spread to the entire three-storey building, leaving the occupants no time to save any household items. The fire was first detected by an occupant of the house who immediately raised an alarm.The other occupants of the house then ran to safety and the fire-fighters were summoned. However, by the time the fire tenders arrived, the house was almost gutted. The entire upper flat was destroyed, with the lower flat being the only thing left intact.A side view of the burnt houseThe owner of the house, Sean Gittens who was very distraught, told Guyana Times that the fire started in a section of the house that was unoccupied. He also explained that there was no electricity in the building, and he was of the belief that the fire was purposely set.“The lady who occupied a part of the bottom flat said that her prepaid meter had no credit and as such, the fire could not have started there. So, I am thinking that somebody probably could have set the fire, because I have a lot of enemies,” Gittens relayed.The man revealed that his elderly mother who lived in a section of the house was unaware of the fire and as such, had to be pulled from the burning building.The woman who was subjected to smoke inhalation was, however, taken to safety without any major injuries.The house, according to Gittens, is uninsured and he estimated his losses to be close to $29 million.“This house is 15 years old and it is worth $50 million, so is done $29 million gone there. This house used to be insured, but my insurance was not renewed, so it seems like all of this money gone. Who is going to build back this now?” the distraught man cried.A source told this publication that someone in the said house seemed to have been stealing electricity which might have caused the fire. An investigation into the fire has been launched.