Sunday, January 5, 2014â€¢10:53 a.m. Non-Injury accident at U.S. 81 & U.S. 160, Wellington involved a vehicle operated by Roxy E. Callison, 66, Winfield, Ks.â€¢5:03 p.m. Non-Injury accident in the 900 block N. B, Wellington involved a vehicle operated by Brietan R. Rader,19, Peck, and a parked and unoccupied vehicle owned by Christopher P. Burden, Wellington.â€¢6 p.m. Non-Injury accident in the 900 block N. C, Wellington involved a vehicle operated by juvenile male, 15, Wellington and a parked and unoccupied vehicle owned by Charles R. Harris, Wellington. Saturday, January 4, 2014â€¢10:40 a.m. Non-Injury accident in the 200 block N. U.S. 81, Wellington involved vehicles operated by Cody L. Patterson, 18, Wellington and Sharon E. Kimbel, 49, Wellington.â€¢10:50 a.m. Cody L. Patterson, 18, Wellington was issued a notice to appear charged with inattentive driving.â€¢11:26 a.m. Officers investigated a theft of a laptop in the 500 block W. Harvey, Wellington.â€¢3:30 p.m. Officers investigated possession of drug paraphernalia by known suspects in the 300 block E. 13th, Wellington.â€¢4:36 p.m. Nathan S. Rowe, 21, Wellington was arrested, charged with domestic battery.â€¢5:24 p.m. Officers investigated a theft of a wallet in the 500 block W. Harvey, Wellington.â€¢8:13 p.m. Officers investigated a battery by an unknown suspect(s) in the 1100 block N. Washington, Wellington.â€¢11:10 p.m. Non-Injury accident in the 200 block E. 15th, Wellington involving a vehicle operated by Steven J. Koch, 25, Caldwell, and a fixed object/sign owned by Kansas Department of Transportation. Wellington Police notes for Friday, Jan. 3 to Sunday, Jan. 5, 2014…Friday, January 3, 2014â€¢On January 1, 2014 at 2:45 a.m. non-injury accident in the 300 block S. Boundary, Wellington involved a vehicle operated by an unknown driver and a ditch.â€¢3:19 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 1200 block S. F, Wellington.â€¢3:22 p.m. Officers investigated criminal trespass and disorderly conduct by a known suspect in the 300 block N. Blaine, Wellington.â€¢3:42 p.m. Officers investigated a theft of currency in the 100 block W. 12th, Wellington.â€¢10:10 p.m. Officers investigated a burglary by a known suspect in the 100 block W. 12th, Wellington.
0Shares0000Mohammad Rakib is one of Bangladesh’s ardent Argentina fans. © AFP / Munir UZ ZAMANDHAKA, Bangladesh, Jun 13 – The World Cup is arousing high passions in Bangladesh, where machete-wielding fans of Brazil and Argentina have clashed in the streets and flags of the two countries are so ubiquitous that some people want to ban them.Ignoring the lack of any obvious link to the South American giants, and the absence of their national team — which is ranked 194th out of 211 teams — World Cup fever has firmly taken hold among Bangladeshi fans. Last week in the central town of Bandar, rival followers of Lionel Messi and Neymar fought with machetes, leaving a man and his son critically wounded, police said.Meanwhile, a 12-year-old boy died after being electrocuted while putting a Brazil flag on a roadside pole.Argentina and Brazil flags have been dominating towns in the country of 160 million for weeks ahead of the start of the World Cup in Russia on Thursday.Supporters of the two teams hold flag processions to show their loyalties. In the northern town of Madarganj, motorcycle rallies are staged by hundreds of rival supporters waving football banners.“They hold meetings to plan further craziness. You can feel the tension and excitement all over town,” local police chief Mohammad Rafique told AFP.Some Bangladeshis want to end the fervour, however.Brazil and Argentina flags are a common sight in Bangladesh during the World Cup. © AFP / Munir UZ ZAMANOne lawyer tried to get a court order preventing the flying of flags of World Cup nations. Barisal University in southern Bangladesh has banned its 7,000 students from flying foreign nations’ colours on campus.“The government should totally ban flying any foreign flags across Bangladesh,” university head S.M. Imamul Haq told AFP.Flag fervour is the most obvious sign of the country’s switch of allegiance every four years from cricket to football.Even though Bangladesh has never qualified for the World Cup, and has little chance of doing so in future, the country goes crazy for the tournament once every four years.– From Maradona to Messi –The South American rivalry has been traced back to broadcasts of the 1986 World Cup, when Diego Maradona’s brilliance helped Argentina win the trophy.“Pele was a household name here. His story was in our textbook. So there was a traditional support base for Brazil. But Argentina stole Bangladeshis’ hearts after Maradona’s solo feats in 1986. I think it is when this rivalry here began,” M.M. Kaiser, editor of a sports portal, told AFP.Maqsud Elahi, 13, said after buying an Argentina flag: “I support Argentina because of Messi. His dribbling is mind-blowing.”Tanvir Haider, a 29-year-old doctor, however, fell for Brazil after watching Ronaldo in his boyhood.“I love Brazil because of him. Also Brazil has a golden past. Their game is terrific and they have superstars at every World Cup,” Haider said.Even some sociologists struggle to understand Bangladesh’s fascination with Brazil and Argentina. © AFPBut sociologists struggle to explain Bangladesh’s football phenomenon, with one criticising it as “a kind of inferiority complex”.“Many of these people don’t know where Brazil and Argentina are. There is no blood or language connection, still they are mad for them,” Nehal Karim, a Dhaka University sociology professor, told AFP.“I don’t understand it,” he declared.Mokaddem Hossain, deputy head of Bangladesh Open University, said it was globalisation at work.“This is part of worldwide branding. Hoisting flags and the excitement around it is just the result of that passion,” he said.Ashif Entaz Rabi, a writer, defended the quadrennial frenzy, saying the World Cup is a joyous occasion for millions.“If an Argentina fan finds happiness by flying an Argentine flag on his roof, who are you to stop him from this joy?” Rabi wrote in a widely shared Facebook comment.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Letterkenny businesses owners and staff are being advised to be on alert for fake bank notes from Northern Ireland.The alert was sparked by the attempted use of a fake £50 sterling note in a local business on Tuesday night.According to the Letterkenny Chamber, staff identified the note was a forgery and the person left in a hurry. Staff are advised to take care to check all notes and report any incidents to gardaí.Warning issued over fake sterling notes in circulation was last modified: March 19th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:bank notesLetterkenny Chamber
Dr. Wolfgang Feist, the physicist and founder of the Passivhaus Institut in Darmstadt, Germany, began his U.S. speaking tour with a presentation and panel discussion at the Boston Architectural College on October 23, 2010. Among the other speakers at the event were Katrin Klingenberg, the founder of the Passive House Institute U.S. in Urbana, Illinois.After suffering some public relations stumbles in the past, Feist and Klingenberg have polished their presentations. In Boston, they steered clear of the awkward exaggerations and red herrings that have marred previous U.S. discussions of the Passivhaus standard.When I first interviewed Dr. Feist in December 2007, he explained, “As long as you build a house in a way that you can use the heat-recovery ventilation system — a system that you need anyway for indoor air requirements — to provide the heat and cooling, it can be considered a Passivhaus.” Since this method of heat delivery has proven to be extremely difficult in the cold climates of North America, many American designers were confused by Dr. Feist’s insistence on it. Refreshingly, Dr. Feist made no mention of this method of heat delivery in his Boston presentation.In marked contrast to claims made at the 2009 Passive House conference in Urbana, Illinois, where the keynote speaker, GÃ¼nter Lang of Austria, falsely claimed that Passivhaus buildings don’t require a heating or cooling system, Dr. Feist was forthright and candid during his stay in Boston. “In the heating climates, a Passivhaus building is not a zero-energy building — you still need to heat it,” Dr. Feist told his American audience. He later explained that, if you are building in a hot, humid climate, “You will need a small cooling system or a small dehumidification system.”In his presentation to the Boston audience, Dr. Feist boiled down the Passivhaus… Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to this article as well as GBA’s complete library of premium articles and construction details. This article is only available to GBA Prime Members Start Free Trial Already a member? Log in
Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa View comments QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort MOST READ John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding LATEST STORIES Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion Herndon motivated to play alongside league’s top guards at Star Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games June Mar Fajardo. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netThirteen players were present in the first day of the Smart Gilas Pilipinas’ training camp for the first leg of the 2017 Fiba World Cup qualifiers later this month.Four-time PBA Most Valuable Player June Mar Fajardo, Jayson Castro, and Calvin Abueva spearheaded the attendees at Meralco Gym on Friday night.ADVERTISEMENT Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Also present were longtime national team members Japeth Aguilar and Gabe Norwood, mainstays Troy Rosario, Raymond Almazan, and Allein Maliksi, as well as cadets Roger Pogoy, Matthew Wright, Jio Jalalon, Mac Belo, and Carl Bryan Cruz.Assistant coaches Jong Uichico, Jimmy Alapag, Josh Reyes, and Ryan Betia assisted Head Coach Chot Reyes in the session.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutThe Philippines is preparing for its game against Japan in Tokyo on November 24, before going back home where it will take on Chinese Taipei at Smart Araneta Coliseum on November 27. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Read Next CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA
Mumbai, Nov 14 (PTI) Jaguar Land Rover India, which has set a target of 14 per cent volume share in the luxe car space, today began locally assembly of its popular SUV, the F-Pace, from its Pune plant and priced it Rs 8.4 lakh lower than the CBU model.The F-Pace, which is the first performance SUV from the Jaguar stable, is priced at Rs 60.02 lakh for a 2-liter diesel engine. The imported model was priced at Rs 68.40 lakh and was launched last October.Bookings are now open and deliveries will begin from the end of November, the company said.The F-Pace is the sixth model from its Pune plant. The other being the Jaguar XE, XF, XJ, and Land Rover Discovery Sport, and Range Rover Evoque.In a recent interview to PTI, Rohit Suri, managing director & president of Jaguar Land Rover India had said that the company had grown 45 per cent to 2,942 units in the first nine months of the year and was on course to sell around 4,500 units, clocking a volume share of 13-14 per cent. The company had sold around 2,500 units in 2016.”Since its launch last October, the F-Pace has captured the hearts and minds of customers here. The launch of the locally manufactured F-Pace signifies another milestone in our continued commitment and efforts towards Make in India policy of government,” Suri said in a statement.The Jaguar F-Pace is a performance SUV that has the DNA of a sports car. Its powerful and agile look makes it very distinctive and gives it a head-turning road presence.advertisementIt also comes with a range of exciting features including adaptive LED headlights, activity key, Wi-Fi hotspot & pro-services and a 25.91 cm touch screen.The Jaguar portfolio here include the XE (Rs 35.85 lakh), XF (Rs 46.46 lakh), F-Pace (Rs 60.02 lakh), XJ (Rs 100.80 lakh) and F-Type (Rs 134.33 Lakh). These models are sold through 25 outlets in 23 cities. PTI BEN NRB RYS
Real Betis interested in Inter Milan striker Lautaro Martinezby Carlos Volcano9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Betis are interested in Inter Milan striker Lautaro Martinez.Marca says Martinez has been placed on Real Betis’ radar for a potential January move.The Andalusians have made contact with the Nerazzurri to try to sign the player on loan with a purchase option.Martinez arrived in Italy from Racing Club last summer, for a fee of €25m and has since participated in 16 matches and has scored five goals.The Argentine is seen by Luciano Spalletti as the backup to Mauro Icardi and a move out of the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza seems complicated. TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
TORONTO – Rogers Communications said Thursday that it had laid off about 75 full-time employees from its digital content and publishing team.The Toronto-based company said the cuts amount to about one-third of the department, reducing the size of that team to about 150 people.The digital content and publishing division produces content for Maclean’s, Today’s Parent, Hello! Canada, Flare, MoneySense, Canadian Business and Chatelaine.Rogers said the job cuts reflects the “headwinds” faced by its industry, which has been dealing with a years-long change in consumer reading habits and a loss in advertising revenue at most established publishers.The company also said the reorganization will see Steve Maich, senior vice-president of digital content and publishing, leave the organization later this summer. Sarah Trimble was named vice-president, digital content and publishing.“Throughout his extraordinary 14-year tenure at Rogers Media, Steve Maich has left an indelible mark on all those who have had the pleasure of working with him, and all the loyal readers who have enjoyed his writing,” Rick Brace, president of Rogers Media, said in a statement.Lianne George, editor in chief at Chatelaine, also tweeted that she has decided to leave the magazine and Rogers.“It’s been the greatest joy to work for this publication, and with this wonderful, big-hearted group. I know the team will continue to do great things,” George tweeted from her verified account.The majority of the cuts were staff based in Toronto and included a variety of editorial roles.Rogers has one of Canada’s biggest media businesses, active in print and digital publishing, radio broadcasting and television including the Sportsnet specialty channels.However, Rogers Media is much smaller than the company’s wireless and cable divisions.It said that all of its current publishing brands will continue and the company remains committed to producing high-quality editorial content.Companies in this story: (TSX:RCI.B)
Index and currency in this story: (TSX:GSPTSE, TSX:CADUSD=X) The Canadian Press TORONTO — North American stock markets surged higher in late-morning trading following news of trade talks between the U.S. and China set for next week.The S&P/TSX composite index was up 190.79 points at 14,403.54.In New York, the Dow Jones industrial average was up 680.15 points at 23,366.37.The S&P 500 index was up 76.76 points at 2,524.65, while the Nasdaq composite was up 245.47 points at 6,708.97.The Canadian dollar traded for 74.69 cents US compared with an average of 74.02 cents US on Thursday.The February crude contract was up US$1.91 at US$49 per barrel and the February natural gas contract was up 2.7 cents at US$2.97 per mmBTU.The February gold contract was down US$9.60 at US$1,285.20 an ounce and the March copper contract was up 6.4 cents at US$2.63 a pound.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Fort St. John for Liquefied Natural Gas (FSJ for LNG) has recently released a letter looking at a year in review.Founder and Chairman, Alan Yu, says in the letter that FSJ for LNG is thankful for 2018 but is hoping for a better 2019 in regards to the current status of the LNG project. He notes that the LNG project was not just good for Fort St. John but for the National and Global economy as well.“When North East B.C. received good news in late 2018, it wasn’t just a positive turn of events for Fort St. John and the Peace Region. The final investment decision to proceed with the LNG Canada project heralds a project of national and global significance. A flat year for LNG investment worldwide was lifted by the October announcement. As recognition travels far and wide of fully how transformational Canada’s largest-ever private investment will be, nevertheless there are strong signs that the NDP-Green alliance in Victoria can barely contain its contempt for anything to do with natural gas and LNG.” Yu hopes that, in 2019, the Horgan Government does the right thing and test its reckless LNG policy with the electorate by calling an early election.“For those who understand both the economy and the environment, there is only one realistic hope for 2019: that the Horgan government do the right thing and test its reckless LNG policy with the electorate by calling an early election. The same voters who rejected Horgan’s crooked proportional representation referendum are highly likely to react the same way to his anti-climate climate plan: by saying no.”In closing, Yu points out that there is still a lot of work that FSJ for LNG has to do even with the LNG project coming to Fort St. John.“For those asking if the job of FSJ for LNG is now over, I hope this answers the question. We still have quite a job to do in 2019 which include voting somebody out in the coming federal election.”The full letter can be viewed below.