Italy snatched a dramatic and deserved 1-0 win away to Poland in their Nations League match on Sunday thanks to a stoppage-time header from Cristiano Biraghi, his first international goal.Biraghi gave Italy their first win in the competition and also their first in a competitive match since Roberto Mancini took over as coach in May.It also meant that Poland, who have one point from three games after also losing at home to Portugal on Thursday, will finish bottom of Group Three in League A and will be relegated to the second-tier League B.It was a richly-deserved win for Italy who produced one of their best performances in the last few years and twice hit the crossbar in the first half.Italy have four points from three games while leaders Portugal, who remain firm favourites to win the group and qualify for the semi-finals at the end of the season, have six from two.”We dominated the match, we should have scored earlier and it would have been very unfair if the game had finished 0-0,” said Mancini who is rebuilding the side after their failure to qualify for this year’s World Cup.”It’s a great win, we can still improve a lot but it needs patience these lads need time.”Poland made six changes to the team which lost to Portugal while Italy’s line-up was unchanged from Wednesday’s 1-1 draw at home to Ukraine.Italy immediately took the initiative and midfielder Jorginho curled a shot against the bar in the first minute.advertisementLorenzo Insigne dinked the ball on to the roof of the net from Alessandro Florenzi’s pass and the Napoli forward also struck the woodwork on the half-hour after Federico Chiesa sent him clear.Jorginho then forced Wojciech Szczesny to make a difficult save as Italy continued to dominate the game and create chances.Italy continued to push forward after halftime, playing some flowing football in the process, and should have gone ahead when Federico Bernardeschi found himself with a free header from Chiesa’s cross but sent his shot wide of the target.Then it was Poland’s turn as Kamil Grosicki was sent clear by Roberto Lewandowski. His shot was parried by Gianluigi Donnarumma and the rebound fell to Arkadiusz Milik who fired wide.A draw would have guaranteed Portugal top spot with two games to spare but Italy finally got their reward in the 92nd minute.A corner was touched on by substitute Kevin Lasagne at the near post and Biraghi, winning his third cap, headed in to spark delirious celebrations on the Italy bench.(With Reuters inputs)
New Delhi: It took only 3 to 10 minutes for 40-year-old Zahid alias Anna to steal vehicles from different parts of Delhi. The criminal with his modus operandi stole more than 100 vehicles but his happy run came to an end when he was arrested from Kalkaji area on July 23.Deputy Commissioner of Police (South East) Chinmoy Biswal said as per depending on the condition the accused sold stolen cars in between Rs 20,000 to 50,000. “Hardly he took 3 to 10 minutes for stealing. From the possession of accused person 11 stolen luxury cars have been recovered,” said DCP Biswal. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderDCP Biswal further said that during interrogation, Zahid disclosed that in order to earn quick money he started stealing cars. Accused used to steal vehicles with other auto-lifters and was first time arrested in 2005. “Accused Zahid further disclosed that last year he formed his separate gang and recruited young boys into his gang. Accused trained them on how to steal cars. Accused Zahid behaved like their elder brother and his gang members started calling him ‘Anna’. Thereafter, the gang was famously known as ‘Anna Gang’ in the circuits of Meerut,” police said. Police further added that accused persons used to target cars parked in the residential areas of Delhi NCR and disposed them to receivers of Meerut. The gang members used stolen cars to conduct recee and Zahid was expert in car thefts. The gang mostly used to steal cars on demand of the receivers.
WINNIPEG – Manitoba’s Progressive Conservative government introduced legislation Thursday to allow politicians to jump from one party to another — a move that should end stalling tactics by ousted former Tory Steven Fletcher.Justice Minister Heather Stefanson introduced a bill that would lift a ban on so called floor-crossing — where politicians elected under one party’s banner join another party without a by-election.The ban was introduced by the former NDP government and was being fought in court by Fletcher, who was kicked out of the Tory caucus in June after criticizing the government’s plans for a new Crown corporation to promote energy efficiency.Now an Independent legislature member, Fletcher said the Manitoba ban is the only one of its kind in Canada and violates his freedom of association and expression.To protest the ban, Fletcher single-handedly brought proceedings in the legislature to a halt on Wednesday — the first legislature sitting since the summer break — by raising nine procedural complaints that had to be debated and voted on individually in the chamber.On Thursday, Fletcher relented.“The objectives of yesterday were achieved,” Fletcher said.The bill has yet to be debated and the government hopes to have it become law by Nov. 9. As a backup, Fletcher has a court date in December when his lawyer will ask a Court of Queen’s Bench judge to strike down the ban as unconstitutional.Fletcher has previously said he has no intention of joining another party, but would not rule it out Thursday.If he were to join the Liberals, it would give the struggling party a fourth legislature seat — enough for official party status and the extra funding that the designation brings.Liberal house leader Jon Gerrard played down that possibility Thursday.“I have met with Steven Fletcher on a number of occasions, but he has been very clear that this is not about him going to join another party like the Liberals, it is all about the fact that this is a point of principle.”While Fletcher ended his stalling manoeuvres Thursday, legislature business was disrupted for another reason — a phone threat that prompted the evacuation of the historic building.The fire alarm rang and politicians, staff and visitors were ordered out just as Question Period was winding down. They spent almost 90 minutes on the front lawn before the all-clear was given.“I understand it was a phone threat and it was very quickly made and difficult to track,” Premier Brian Pallister said under a shady tree.“It’s a behaviour that’s counter-productive to creating a sense of security and there’s always a balance in terms of how we react to it. You don’t want to let the prankster win.”