Tag: 上海夜网论坛TB

State to inforce perchlorate limits

No Comments

first_imgHowever, the chemical’s health impacts remain under debate.In a 2002 study, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency recommended a maximum limit of one part per billion for perchlorate in drinking water, a limit which Massachusetts adopted last year.The EPA estimates perchlorate contamination exists in at least 25 states.In Los Angeles County alone, according to the California Department of Public Health, 67 water sources have exceeded six parts per billion of perchlorate at some point during the past five years. Several of those sources are in the San Gabriel Valley.In Pasadena, the major sources of perchlorate contamination are waste pits used at JPL during the 1940s and 1950s.At a treatment plant on the laboratory grounds, water drawn from beneath the surface has perchlorate levels of about 400 parts per billion, said Steve Slaten, the plant project’s manager for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.After treatment, he said, the water is returned to the ground with a concentration of less than two parts per billion. Drinking water from wells in Altadena tainted by the plume of JPL toxins is cleaned until it has less than six parts per billion of perchlorate.Although some of Pasadena’s water sources do contain perchlorate, the new regulations will have little impact on Pasadena Water and Power, said Shan Kwan, the agency’s director of water. Six parts per billion “is what we originally thought that the maximum contaminant level would be, so we were already keeping that in mind,” he said. “When we blend (water sources), we always put a big safety factor in there.”But although Pasadena has been “pretty careful,” said Tim Brick, chairman of the Metropolitan Water District, “I, frankly, believe that there are some agencies that are blending water for whom this will be a problem.”Still, he said, “personally, I have concerns that six parts might not be fully protective for the health of pregnant women and children.”[email protected](626) 578-6300, Ext. 4451160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! PASADENA — This month, for the first time, the state will begin regulating the amount of the toxin perchlorate in drinking water.As of Oct. 18, California will require that water contain no more than six parts per billion of the rocket-fuel additive, putting regulatory force behind what had been just a suggested limit for the past five years.That amount is about the same as a tablespoon of ink in an Olympic-sized pool.The change, lauded by some environmentalists, will make California only the second state, behind Massachusetts, to regulate the chemical in drinking water. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityBut there are also concerns that even the seemingly minuscule amount set by the new limit is still too high.Perchlorate has been shown to block the release of thyroid gland hormones critical for normal growth and nervous system development, making it particularly dangerous for pregnant women and young children.“We believe there is really no safe level of rocket fuel in our drinking water,” said Bernadette Del Chiaro of the advocacy group Environment California. “We are disappointed.”The Association for California Water Agencies, however, supports the new standard. It notes that the state’s Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment has declared that the six-parts-per-billion limit would cause no ill effects even after 70 years of water consumption.“Six parts per billion has been a good, health-effective, cost-effective number,” said Krista Clark, the association’s director of regulatory affairs. “There’s no justifiable reason to have a standard lower than that. To treat lower than that would be to spend public tax dollars on a standard that provides zero net health benefits.”last_img read more

Mesut Ozil excited to provide for ‘ice cold’ new boy Alexandre Lacazette

No Comments

first_img1 Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil Mesut Ozil cannot wait to start providing the ammunition for “ice cold” Alexandre Lacazette to help fire Arsenal towards Premier League glory next season.The 26-year-old’s protracted transfer from home-town club Lyon was finally confirmed late on Wednesday afternoon.The deal is understood to be a club-record fee which surpasses the £42.4million paid to Real Madrid for Ozil in 2013, and could end up as high as £52million.Lacazette plundered some 37 goals in all competitions during the last campaign and revealed linking up with the likes of German playmaker Ozil and Chile forward Alexis Sanchez was one of the major attractions to joining the Gunners, who will be competing in the Europa League next season having missed out on the top four.Ozil, whose own future remains the subject of speculation with only a year left on his current contract, is relishing the opportunity to create chances for such a clinical finisher, having set up some 42 Premier League goals since moving from Spain.“I am really looking forward to it. He is a very good striker who has scored many goals in Ligue 1, not just this season but in previous seasons too. We are really happy to have such a class striker here with us,” Ozil said on Arsenal Player.“From what I have heard he is meant to be very good, always hungry for goals and ice-cold when he gets into a scoring position. My friends who follow the French league know him well and have told me that I will definitely have fun with him on the pitch.“I hope that he will be able to take us further with his goals. I am sure he is happy to be here and to be able to play with us, and we are pleased to be able to assist him and help him to score as many goals as possible.”Ozil gave little away as to thoughts on his own long-term future in the brief interview with the club’s in-house media, having spent his summer with family in the sun to “build up my strength” after Germany selected a young squad for the Confederations Cup in Russia, allowing their established players an extended break.The 28-year-old World Cup winner is set to be part of the Arsenal tour to Australia and China, though, with Lacazette also expected to make the trip ahead of a home debut in the Emirates Cup at the end of July.Lacazette becomes the Gunners’ second major summer addition following the arrival of left-back Sead Kolasinac on a free transfer from Schalke.Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is expected to further strength the squad before the end of the transfer window, with Monaco’s Thomas Lemar and Leicester winger Riyad Mahrez both said to be targets.However, the arrival of the France forward is also likely to signal departures, with the Gunners now at their full quota of non home-grown players.Defender Mathieu Debuchy and Kieran Gibbs have both been linked with moves away, along with Spanish forward Lucas Perez and French striker Olivier Giroud, who is said to be wanted by both Everton and West Ham.Arsenal will also look to tie down the future of Sanchez, who was away with Chile at the Confederations Cup where La Roja were beaten by Germany in the final.The 28-year-old is out of contract next summer and there has been reported interest from the likes of Manchester City, Chelsea and Bayern Munich as well as big-money offers from China.last_img read more