Tag: 上海夜网JQ

Trump holds fiery, defiant rally but crowd disappoints

No Comments

first_imgMany rally-goers wore red “Make America Great Again” hats or T-shirts, but very few wore masks and there was little social distancing, even though coronavirus cases have recently been skyrocketing in Oklahoma.The president has downplayed the risk that the evening rally — with thousands of shouting, cheering attendees — might trigger a coronavirus outbreak, ignoring danger warnings by Tulsa health and municipal officials.Trump, 74, insisted he was in good health after a graduation ceremony where he appeared to show signs of fatigue, before quipping “I’ll let you know if there is something wrong.”But the narrative of a trouble-free campaign event was punctured when the campaign announced just hours before the rally that six members of its Tulsa advance team tested positive for coronavirus.Trump engaged in his now-familiar baiting of his “socialist” Democratic rivals. He notably steered clear until well into the speech of the racial tensions that have swept the country in the weeks since a handcuffed African American, George Floyd, was killed by police in Minneapolis.Instead he warned that Democrats were seeking to erase American heritage.”The unhinged left-wing mob is trying to vandalize our history, desecrate our beautiful monuments, tear down our statues, and punish, cancel and persecute anyone who does not conform to their demands for absolute and total control,” he said.The stakes Saturday could not be higher — both for the health of thousands spending hours at the arena and Trump’s political fortunes five months before an election in which he trails in the polls.”Today we’re here to show we support President Trump and that we, the people, we’ll win the 2020 election, no matter what the fake news media and other liberal, leftist, mind-controlling big firms are saying,” said attendee Brad, who declined to provide his last name.Campaign revival? The rally has been controversial not just because of the virus risk. Originally it was scheduled for Friday — the Juneteenth commemoration of the end of slavery in the US — in a city known for one of the deadliest-ever massacres of African Americans.Racial tensions have roiled the nation following the police killing of a black man, George Floyd, in Minneapolis. Trump has fanned the flames with provocative rhetoric, including a tweeted threat to protesters ahead of Tulsa’s rally.Dozens of Black Lives Matter protesters did gather at rally checkpoints and confronted attendees, but no violence was reported.This was the first of Trump’s signature rallies since March 2, when the country went into pandemic lockdown.The virus dramatically disrupted a once-booming economy, which had been Trump’s strongest re-election selling point.With Oklahoma overwhelmingly Republican, Trump’s job was not to win over locals, but to revive a campaign rocked by his handling of the pandemic and weeks of racial tensions.With polls showing him trailing Biden, Trump is eager to change the narrative, and rallies have long been his favorite political tool.Viral danger But while Trump rolls the political dice, the crowd, albeit smaller than predicted, gambles with their health.Oklahoma virus cases have spiked recently, and the state’s total as of Saturday has surpassed 10,000. Rally organizers provided everyone with hand sanitizer, temperature checks and optional masks.Attendees were required to sign a waiver protecting organizers from any liability in the event COVID-19 spreads at the venue.Topics : The event — which the White House promised would be flooded with up to 100,000 people, but actually did not fill the 19,000-seat arena where Trump spoke — has emerged as a flashpoint in the pandemic era. But Trump was more interested in reviving his political fortunes after several bruising weeks that saw continued economic woes tied to the pandemic, nationwide protests over racial injustice, the toppling of Confederate and other statues and critics including former aides savaging his performance.”The silent majority is stronger than ever before,” Trump said in a rowdy, freewheeling speech in which he blasted his 2020 election rival, Democrat Joe Biden, as a “helpless puppet of the radical left.””Five months from now we’re going to defeat ‘sleepy’ Joe Biden,” he said. US President Donald Trump hailed his supporters as “warriors” Saturday for defying the coronavirus and attacked his Democratic rivals at his first campaign rally in three months, an event with crowds far smaller than promised.Gathering his political faithful at a much-hyped rally in Oklahoma, the Republican president sought to reinvigorate his flagging campaign in the face of a crushing health and economic crisis as well as protests against racial injustice that have swept the nation in recent weeks.Trump all but claimed victory over the pandemic that has killed some 120,000 Americans — “I have done a phenomenal job with it!” he insisted — even as six members of his own Tulsa advance team tested positive for COVID-19.last_img read more

Syracuse basketball will host Cornell in 122nd all-time matchup on Dec. 27

No Comments

first_img Published on July 8, 2016 at 3:40 pm Contact Matt: [email protected] | @matt_schneidman Syracuse and Cornell will play in the Carrier Dome on Dec. 27, SU Athletics announced Friday afternoon. The Orange has won the last 36 games between the two schools and holds a 90-31 advantage overall.Last season Syracuse beat the Big Red, 67-46, to improve to 8-3 behind Malachi Richardson and Tyler Roberson’s 15 points a piece. Michael Gbinije and Trevor Cooney chipped in 12 and 10, respectively, and the Orange widened a four-point halftime lead into a blowout. Cornell returns its top scorers form last season, Matt Morgan (18.9 points per game) and Robert Hatter (17.1). The Big Red are led by first-year head coach Brian Earl a year after finishing 10-18 overall with a lowly 3-11 mark in the Ivy League.Syracuse-Cornell is SU’s second longest rivalry behind its yearly bout with Colgate. This year, the Orange boasts a deeper team than it did last year, with nine scholarship players who are likely to be in the everyday rotation and a possible 10th on the way in Nebraska graduate transfer Andrew White.Here are the 11 games with reported or announced dates on Syracuse’s schedule so far.Nov. 11 — vs. ColgateNov. 15 — vs. Holy CrossNov. 28 — vs. MonmouthNov. 22 — vs. South Carolina StateNov. 26 — vs. South Carolina (Barclays Center)Nov. 29 — at WisconsinDec. 3 — North FloridaDec. 5 — UConn (Madison Square Garden)Dec. 17 — vs. GeorgetownDec. 21 — vs. St. John’sDec. 27 — vs. CornellBold = Brooklyn Hoops Holiday InvitationalAdvertisementThis is placeholder text Comments Related Stories Syracuse will host North Florida on Dec. 3Syracuse will visit Wisconsin on Nov. 29 in ACC/Big Ten ChallengeSyracuse basketball recruiting: Former Kansas and Nebraska guard Andrew White III visits SUcenter_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Another day, another bronze

No Comments

first_imgGov’t in no rush to rescue animals in Taal Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Team Philippines stood in 23rd spot.While the lone man to win a gold for the country in the last edition of the Games failed in his defense, pencak silat got a third bet with a chance for a medal after Cherry May Regalado entered the medal round of the form event and two other bets shooting for sure silvers Sunday in singles tanding (sparring).Two fancied martial arts bets, though, crashed out after their opening bouts even as the women’s golf team led by Yuka Saso positioned itself for medal finishes, with the 18-year-old ace wheeling into solid contention for the individual gold over at Pondok Indah course.Asian champion Annie Ramirez and Apryl Eppinger took to the door in their respective jiujitsu divisions, with Ramirez ruing moving up to a heavier weight class in bowing to Kira Sung of South Korea, 0-21 in the 62-kilogram division of newaza.“I’m very sorry,” Ramirez told local scribes in Filipino, knowing the expectations of her back home. “She was really heavier than me. I had to move to this weight class because it’s the only category for me here.”ADVERTISEMENT Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew 2014 Asian Games gold medalist Daniel Caluag (right) hurdles a jump on the way to a bronze medal in this Asiad’s BMX competitions. —PH ASIAN GAMES MEDIA POOLJAKARTA—Anyone wondering what shape Daniel Caluag was in in his defense of the men’s BMX gold in the Asian Games got an answer in spades, with the registered nurse—sans all the preparations as far as participating in big-time races are concerned—pocketing a bronze Saturday to add to the Philippine medal haul.“I didn’t get the result I was aiming for but I am happy with the medal I contributed,” the 31-year-old Caluag, whose day job in two hospitals three days a week as a nurse in the United States made pundits conclude that he was not in shape before coming over, told Filipino reporters at Jakarta International BMX Track here.ADVERTISEMENT DepEd’s Taal challenge: 30K students displaced Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college ‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial beginscenter_img MOST READ Onanong Sangsirichok eliminated Eppinger, who was in the 2014 Games in Incheon as a cyclist, 3-0.Sorry knockoutBoxing took another loss—literally flush on the chin this time—after Mario Fernandez was knocked out by Iraq’s Jaafar Abdulridha Al Sudani with 47 seconds left in the third round of their men’s bantamweight bout and the Filipino enjoying a wide lead in the judges’ scorecards.Fernandez was later carried out on a stretcher.Saso submitted a second straight three-under-par 69 and moved within four shots of the lead, tied for third with Thailand’s Atthaya Thitikul, who also shot a 69, with a 209 aggregate going into Sunday’s final 18 holes.The Filipinos are within two shots of second place in the team event at 10-under after Bianca Pagdanganan cracked par for the second straight day with a 71. China still leads the team race with a 19-under total.The men’s team bowed out of medal contention, with Wei Wei Gao firing a 77 to also kiss his individual chances goodbye.Over in Palembang, the men’s dragon boat team finished fifth in the finals of the 200-meter race at Jakabaring Canoeing and Rowing Center, blaming the false start of the host Indonesian team for putting them off their rhythm.China won that race with a time of 50.832. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. “I came in wanting the gold [medal], that was the vision,” he said. “I’m happy with the way I finished. I would have been happier with a better color [of medal], though.”Yoshitaku Nagasako of Japan clocked 33.669 seconds, with Indonesian bet Gustin Bagus Saputra checking in second at 34.314.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’Caluag, who knew at the start of the Asiad that the Japanese was the rider to beat, timed 35.842 as the Philippines pocketed its seventh bronze medal that went with its lone gold courtesy of weightlifter Hidilyn Diaz last Tuesday.As of 7 p.m. (8 in Manila), host Indonesia is the best Southeast Asian country with a total of 38 medals, 10 of them gold, as China continued its assault on the continental sporting showpiece with 71 gold medals making a chunk of its 149 overall. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Decommissioned Peza offers relief to ecozone firms View commentslast_img read more

Second Sexual Offences Court to open this month end

No Comments

first_imgThe United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF) has said that the agency is eyeing April 29 for the opening of the second Sexual Offences Court.This is according to sources attached to the agency.The new court will be opened in Region Five (Mahaica-Berbice) and would be the second of its kind in the country.In November 2017, when the first Sexual Offences Court opened, plans were announced to construct similar structures in Berbice and Essequibo in an effort to reduce the increased incidence of such cases.In declaring the court open, acting Chancellor of the Judiciary, Justice Yonette Cummings-Edwards drew reference to statistics which have shown that sexual offences have been on the rise both regionally and locally.She pointed out, “When we look at statistics, more than 50 per cent of the cases for the Demerara Assizes over the last two sessions showed us that sexual offences comprised half of the list. So if half of the list comprised sexual offences, it meant that the other indictable offences like robbery and rape took second place…that is something we have to address”.The acting Chancellor reminded that sexual offences affect victims emotionally, psychologically and physically and those effects could be both long or short term and it could also affect the development of the victims. These victims, she said, require specialist treatment on the part of everyone concerned, be it the police, investigators, medical practitioners, NGOs, prosecution or the court.During the last quarter of 2018, Police statistics showed that rape cases have increased.Top Cop Leslie James told the media that rape cases had increased by seven per cent, with 202 cases reported in 2018 compared to 189 cases in 2017.The Sexual Offences Court was birthed out of the Sexual Offences Act 2010, which was spearheaded by former Human Services and Education Minister Priya Manickchand. The former Minister had led what was then called the “Stamp it Out” campaign in 2010 which saw widespread consultations around the country with regards to sexual offences and other major human rights issues facing Guyana.A Sexual Offences Court is different from other courtrooms as it includes features which will make victims more comfortable while testifying against their attackers.last_img read more