Belgium’s second city Antwerp announced a nighttime curfew on Monday as the country toughened social-distancing and mask wearing rules to stem a flare-up in coronavirus cases.In the city, a major business hub and sea port, bars and restaurants will close at 11:00 pm and citizens will be obliged to get home by 11:30 pm and to stay there until 6:00 am.Everyone over 12 years old will have to wear a face mask in public places and crowded areas, contact and adult team sports will be banned and teleworking will be compulsory for anyone whose employment allows it. Antwerp governor Cathy Berx said in a statement that the situation in her city was such that she had decided to supplement the measures already taken on a national level.”Stay at home as much as possible,” she said, urging outsiders not to make non-essential visits to Antwerp and young people to stay indoors. “Do not go out to party, do not endanger yourself and others.” Earlier, Prime Minister Sophie Wilmes ordered that, from Wednesday, Belgians would be allowed to see a maximum of five people outside of their families, reducing their “social bubble” from 15.Working from home will be “strongly recommended”. Topics : Wilmes’s declaration came as fears grew in some European countries of a damaging second wave of the pandemic, with Britain reimposing quarantine requirements on holidaymakers returning from Spain.Belgian health officials said there had been a rapid rise in coronavirus cases, with 1,952 new infections over the past week, up more than 70 percent on the previous week.”The epidemiological data are worrying and we are very worried, that’s why we are acting today,” Wilmes told reporters, after a meeting of the country’s national security council.In addition, face masks are to become compulsory whenever people are unable to maintain a social distance of 1.5 meters, and the government is “strongly recommending” that people work from home.Belgium had begun to ease anti-virus measures, but Wilmes said the new rules were needed “to avoid a new complete lockdown and to avoid putting the return of schools in September in jeopardy”. ‘Rapid growth’ Frederique Jacobs, professor of infectious diseases and a spokeswoman for Belgium’s federal COVID-19 taskforce, told reporters: “The rapid growth in the number of cases is worrying.” She said the situation was particularly serious in the province of Antwerp, in northern Belgium, which recorded 47 percent of new infections in the last week. Special local measures have been taken to try to contain the spike.But Jacobs warned that “the number of infections is also rising considerably in the rest of the country”.An average of 279 people a day contracted COVID-19 in the last week, compared with 163 a day the week before.”Most infections are still coming among the active population, that is to say people aged between 20 and 59,” Jacobs said.Since the start of the pandemic Belgium has recorded 66,026 cases and 9,821 deaths, according to the latest data published on Monday, among the highest per capita rates of infection of any country.A three-year-old girl with severe pre-existing health problems became Belgium’s youngest known coronavirus victim last week.Tougher rules on wearing masks came into force on Saturday with face coverings made obligatory in markets, hotels and busy shopping streets.
FORMER Australia Test captain and wicketkeeper Barry Jarman has died, aged 84. Jarman played 19 Tests from 1959 to 1969 and captained the side for one Test on the 1968 Ashes tour when regular skipper Bill Lawry was injured; leading them to a draw that meant Australia retained the Ashes.Australia’s 33rd Test skipper, he’s one of just five Australian male wicketkeepers to captain his country in Test cricket.Jarman made his Test debut as a 23-year-old in India in 1959 but had to bide his time for almost a decade before he was a regular in the Test team, with Wally Grout – nine years Jarman’s senior – Australia’s first-choice gloveman for most of the 1960s.A decision early on Australia’s 1957-58 tour of South Africa was to define the careers of both Grout and Jarman. Both men were uncapped and vying for the vacant wicket-keeping spot but after Grout scored 95 with the bat in a warm-up match before the first Test, he was given the nod for the series opener.And when he claimed six second-innings dismissals on Test debut, Grout had proved his worth and would rarely drop out of the side for most of the next decade.Jarman was a regular in touring parties but, as Grout’s understudy, he played just seven Tests between 1959 and 1967, only getting a chance when Grout was injured.When Grout finally retired in 1966 at the age of 39, the South Australian took over and played 12 Tests in a little more than a year before he too retired in 1969 at the age of 33.While Grout’s presence meant Jarman didn’t play as much for his country as he would have liked, he was a mainstay of the South Australian team for more than a decade and was part of their Sheffield Shield side that won the title in 1963-64.Today, the most improved player in South Australia’s men’s side each season is awarded the Barry Jarman Trophy.When he retired, Jarman had 560 dismissals to his name from 191 first-class games, a tally only Grout and Bert Oldfield bettered at the time.Jarman went on to have a career as an International Cricket Council match referee, working in 25 Tests and 28 ODIs between 1995 and 2001.In 1997, he was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia for service to sport in South Australia.Jarman also played a key role in introducing another much-loved figure in South Australian cricket to the game. Having employed a young man named Barry Rees at his sports store in the early 1960s, Jarman nicknamed his young employee ‘Nugget’ and, upon learning of his love for cricket, brought him into the Adelaide Oval rooms, where he’s been a beloved feature ever since.“Barry was one of South Australia’s internationally known names,” SACA president Andrew Sinclair said in a statement.“He was a great competitor and gentleman, who appreciated the way the game should be played and was always had a terrific sense of humour.“He lived his life to the full and was not afraid to share his opinion; you were never left in any doubt as to his view. He was a delight to be around.“Our thoughts are with his family: wife Gaynor, and children Kristen, Gavin, Jason and Erin.”While he struggled to get a chance in the Test side for most of his career, Jarman was a popular member on Australia’s overseas tours.“When you have 17 players in a touring party, you can get little divisions at times with various states who might try to stay together,” former Test bowler Eric Freeman told the ABC in 2012.“But Barry was the one where if we went out for a drink, we went out in groups not just one or two guys.” (Cricket.com.au)
Wellington Police notes for Friday, Aug. 15 to Sunday, Aug. 17:Â Friday, August 15, 2014â€¢2:53 a.m. Officers took a report of a mental subject in the 1300 block N. A, Wellington.â€¢9:44 a.m. Officers took a report of a found wallet in the 300 block S. Washington, Wellington.â€¢1:30 a.m. Samantha K. Dunn, 22, Wellington was arrested and bonded on a city of Wellington warrant for criminal damage to property and disorderly conduct.â€¢11:36 a.m. Officers investigated a theft of medication in the 1200 block S. Jefferson, Wellington.â€¢1:08 p.m. Officers conducted a courtesy motor vehicle accident in the 1300 block N. Olive, Wellington involving a vehicle operated by Kurt R. Vogel, 43, Wellington.â€¢7:15 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity by a known subject in the 500 block E. 16th, Wellington.â€¢8:52 p.m. Officers investigated a theft of gasoline in the 1100 block N. A, Wellington.â€¢9:36 p.m. Officers investigated a probation violation by a known suspect in the 300 block N. B, Wellington. Saturday, August 16, 2014â€¢11:13 a.m. Officers investigated a theft of flower pots by an unknown suspect(s) in the 400 block W. 4th, Wellington.â€¢1:16 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 900 block N. F, Wellington.â€¢6:32 p.m. Officers took a report of a vicious animal by a known owner in the 2000 block E. 7th, Wellington.â€¢7:45 p.m. Officers conducted an outside agency assist in the 1300 block N. A, Wellington.â€¢9:40 p.m. Officers investigated possession of drug paraphernalia in the 1500 block N. A, Wellington.â€¢10:30 p.m. Melissa D. Oâ€™Neal, 46, Wellington was arrested, charged and confined with possession of drug paraphernalia. Sunday, August 17, 2014â€¢1:47 a.m. Officers investigated a burglary in the 300 block E. Lincoln, Wellington.â€¢2:18 a.m. Trent A. Graves, 22, Norman, Okla. was arrested, charged and confined with burglary.â€¢3:38 a.m. Officers investigated possession of methamphetamine and possession of drug paraphernalia in the 800 block N. G, Wellington.â€¢10:24 a.m. Officer investigated harassment by telecom device by a known suspect in the 1100 block E 16th, Wellington.â€¢12:47 p.m. Officers investigated criminal trespass in the 200 block E. Lincoln, Wellington.â€¢1:54 p.m. Officers took a report of a domestic disturbance by a known subject(s) in the 600 block E 4th, Wellington.â€¢9 p.m. Officers investigated criminal damage to a window in the 17 block Crestway, Wellington.â€¢10 p.m. Officers investigated a burglary of a generator in the 1500 block N. C, Wellington.