All first-division matches in the Spanish league are expected to be played without fans until the end of the season.Government officials believe some fans will be allowed back by next season with restrictions.___The International Tennis Federation and four Grand Slam tournaments are pledging more than $300,000 in financial support for wheelchair athletes and national event hosts affected financially by the coronavirus pandemic.Wheelchair tennis players who earned under $100,000 in prize money last year and meet certain ranking requirements can apply for a grant under the program. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The first England-Australia rugby league series in 17 years has been canceled. The conference said each school can use its own discretion in deciding when athletes return to campus. The Big 12 had suspended all team activities, voluntary or required, because of the coronavirus pandemic through May 31. As of June 1, new rules go into effect. In-person required and voluntary team activities are still banned for all athletes from June 1-14.Football players can resume voluntary on-campus activity on June 15. Other fall sport athletes can begin voluntary on-campus activity on July 1. Basketball players can participate in on-campus voluntary activities, starting July 6, and all other sports can resume voluntary activities on campus on July 15.Virtual or online supervised workouts and skill instruction is still not permitted. All required virtual or online activities, such as film study, are limited to eight hours per week and only on-field coaches may conduct those sessions.___The Japanese MotoGP has been canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic. There is still not date set for the return of soccer in Brazil.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 England’s Rugby Football League and the Australian Rugby League Commission made the joint announcement.England was to play Australia at Bolton on Oct 31, at Leeds on Nov. 7, and for the first time at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Nov. 14.The series was canceled because of the uncertainty over global travel, and the need to extend both countries’ domestic seasons, stalled by the pandemic.Both governing bodies are committed to planning a series in 2022, after the Rugby League World Cup in England in 2021.___ June 1, 2020 The Latest: Australia rugby league tour of England canceled The wheelchair tennis tour has been suspended since March and at least until the end of July because of the COVID-19 outbreak.More than 85 ITF-sanctioned wheelchair events have been postponed or canceled.___Italian soccer authorities are considering the possibility of allowing fans into stadiums starting next month.The Italian league is set to resume on June 20 with no spectators allowed. There are also strict rules limiting the number of people in the stadium to 300. That includes both teams, staff and journalists. The president of Spanish soccer club Las Palmas says fans may be allowed in to watch the team’s second-division match against Girona on June 13 in the Canary Islands.Miguel Ángel Ramírez has told the club’s official radio station the official announcement could be made next week.Spain has been gradually easing confinement restrictions across the country and the Canary Islands has been one of the most advanced regions controlling the coronavirus outbreak.Ramírez says Spanish health authorities will have the final say on whether fans will be allowed at the Gran Canaria Stadium.Details were not immediately announced but about a third of the 32,000-capacity venue could be open to fans. Italian media are reporting that the soccer federation could discuss the possibility of increasing that number and permitting a vastly reduced number of fans.Federation president Gabriele Gravina says “it’s something I really wish for with all my heart.”Gravina says “it’s unthinkable that in a stadium that can hold 60,000 there’s not space for a small percentage of fans with the necessary precautions.”___The Big 12 Conference announced its schools can begin bringing athletes back to campus, with the resumption of voluntary activities starting June 15 for football players. The race was scheduled for Oct. 18 at the Twin Ring Motegi circuit. Organizers say they hope to return to the same venue next year.Japan has a big presence in the sport and is the home of manufacturers Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki.Organizers say this is first time since 1986 that Japan will not host a race.MotoGP says it is trying to restart the season with races staying in Europe until mid-November. A race in Japan after that would be too late in the season.___ Brazilian soccer club Vasco da Gama says 16 of its players have tested positive for the coronavirus.The Rio de Janeiro club says the positive results came after tests were conducted on about 250 people.Three players have already recovered and the others remain separated from the group.The club says it will begin a series of medical evaluations on squad members.Atlético Mineiro and Cruzeiro said Sunday one player in each squad tested positive. Atlético said Ecuadorean midfielder Juan Cazares had the virus. Cruzeiro announced that forward Vinícius Popó was infected. Associated Press
Cubs manager Joe Maddon wanted to get after Pirates manager Clint Hurdle in the fourth inning Thursday, but he didn’t have the proper technique to do so.After Hurdle seemed to chirp at Maddon following an up-and-in pitch to Chicago star Javier Baez, umpire Joe West ejected Maddon for his vocal retort from the dugout. That prompted Maddon to rush onto the field and charge his counterpart. But Maddon, 65, does not have the moves he used to. With West holding him back — and Hurdle staring him down — Maddon attempted a spin maneuver to break free. It didn’t work.Rather than opening a lane to Hurdle, Maddon went backward, resembling an interpretive dancer more than a fighter. MORE: Watch ‘ChangeUp,’ a new MLB live whiparound show on DAZNClint Hurdle just made Joe Maddon’s burger well-done.It took an army to hold Maddon back. pic.twitter.com/cl9yoJmjkX— Sporting News MLB (@sn_mlb) July 4, 2019Grill master is UNFAZED. pic.twitter.com/WjEOiV5vf7— Sporting News MLB (@sn_mlb) July 4, 2019Just make another burger yourself, Joe.😂😂😂pic.twitter.com/tRjVvoXang— Sporting News MLB (@sn_mlb) July 4, 2019While Maddon’s ultimate goal was likely to fire up his players, who had gotten a couple of far-inside pitches from Jordan Lyles to that point, he probably earned himself a running clubhouse joke at his expense. No doubt the skipper will hear from his players once they watch the clip following the contest.The Cubs did open up a big lead shortly after the incident, and since they’d lost four straight entering Thursday, Maddon is unlikely to regret his miscalculation.
Dear Editor,From what I have seen in the media and during my visits, the people in the community of Wales and its environs are suffering untold hardships because of the shutdown of the Guyana Sugar Corporation’s (GuySuCo) operations there simply because it was done without proper structure.The suffering and hardships are mirrored in every facet of the sugar-producing district where GuySuCo has slammed the doors shut on sugar workers. This is precisely why I wrote, before and after the closure of our major sugar estates, that there will be serious repercussions for the entire country if sugar production is cut and the factories closed.Sugar workers are not the only ones suffering. What about the sudden decline of spin-off businesses? What about the drastic drop in spending power among jobless sugar workers? What about farmers and grocers whose income depended largely on sales to sugar workers and their families; the people who produce or who are vendors of milk, chicken, fish, vegetables etc?What if many of the unemployed former sugar workers turn to producing cash crops and cause a glut in the market? Prices will fall, sales will dry up and there will be more widespread hardships. This will affect other cash crop growers and, inevitably, lead to more theft and other crimes.I am very sad that Government apparently did not do due diligence studies before closing the sugar estates. This failure has unleashed a multitude of terrible penalties and crushed the lives of some of the most vulnerable people in Guyana.In my opinion, those who pushed hard for the closure of the estates might have had sinister motives. For instance, we saw the son-in law of a senior member of the Alliance For Change trying vigorously to sell off Skeldon and other sugar estates via business connections he made in the Caribbean and further afield.I believe Government made a tremendous mistake by closing the estates. Even Government officials and supporters are admitting that they cannot sell non-functioning estates at the sale prices they had expected, so the rewards or compensation will be too small. Why didn’t they think of this before?It is common knowledge that if one has to sell something like a car; it must be working properly before one can get the best price. Why didn’t the sellers of our sugar estates use the ordinary man’s marketing technique, called common sense, instead of just closing the estates and putting them up for sale?It seems that some of our politicians want to do the same thing that was done back in the post-colonial era when former (then) Prime Minister Forbes Burnham sold out our train system to a British company that later sold it to an African nation for many times what Guyana was paid for it.It is known that PM Burnham regretted that decision. Imagine the great benefits of a local train system today; think of the modernisation and expansion. Trains (street cars) would have been traversing the city streets, like they do in Amsterdam, San Francisco, Toronto, Germany and all across Guyana. Motor cars would not have been necessary within the city and the air pollution, the glut and the smog would not have been an issue. Our people would not have been so dependent on unreliable, unregulated minibuses.Now I am seeing the same dilemma with the closure of the GuySuCo estates. Reactivating the abundant lands to make them ready for sugar planting once more will call for a tremendous financial investment. That is why I was saying: If you wish to sell, keep the estates alive and churning while looking for a market.Otherwise, diversify using former sugar factories for milk production, milk processing, converting milk to powdered milk or evaporated or condensed milk. Let’s learn from countries with flat lands like our coastal plane, like the Dutch. Unlike the Dutch, we are lucky in that we do not have winter here.What will happen to the non-functioning estates? Are we going to leave the machinery and equipment to grind to a complete halt so that they rot and are torn apart by vagrants?Why not use the non-functioning estates to produce powdered and canned coconut milk or canned and bottled coconut jelly and water; canned fruits like jack fruit and cane pieces steeped in cane juice; soaps and detergents? We had a golden opportunity to partner with the same countries and people who were and are interested in buying us out for nothing. I know it’s hard because maybe the people in the Government are not business-oriented.Since, we were being hit by big losses in the sugar industry, it would have been far more worthwhile for us to invest in exploring different diversification options to keep our people employed, rather than close the estates and throwing workers to the wolves.Also, if you have to sell, wouldn’t it be easier to sell fully operational estates rather than defunct factories? Didn’t they learn from Burnham? He did not intend to do a bad thing when he closed the railway and nationalised industries. But look what happened?Burnham thought he was doing a good thing. But we were not mature; we were not ready for nationalisation. The Marxist-Leninist system had heavily influenced both he and the late President Cheddi Jagan and they thought we had the ability to manage our resources.We lacked and still lack proper managerial skills for such vast industries.They did not take into consideration that our people are not accustomed to that kind of administration, so the communities and the people of the nation suffered. The people will continue to suffer even more if we do not act wisely and reverse what is happening with the closed sugar estates.Sincerely,Roshan Khan Sr
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – B.C. AdventueSmart has recently trained eight more search and rescue volunteers in Fort St. John from North Peace Search and Rescue, specifically training in ‘SAR Prevention’.According to Executive Director and B.C. Coordinator, Sandra Riches, for 15 years the AdventureSmart program has been increasing awareness for the reduction of SAR incidents with over 325 educators across the Province.“The AdventureSmart program started in B.C. 15 years ago to increase awareness for the reduction of SAR incidents and their severity of. We now have over 325 educators in B.C., who deliver the AdventureSmart programs at school, workplaces, on ski hills and at trailheads.”- Advertisement -B.C. sees over 1,700 search and rescue incidents annually, with 80 SAR groups, consisting of 2,500 volunteers responding to those incidents.The goal of B.C. AdventueSmart is to increase awareness to help reduce the number and severity of incidents that happen each year.For more information, you can visit AdventureSmart’s website.Advertisement