“Before that, no information. Many residents do not know anything about the coronavirus. Honestly, we are worried now because the patient was our neighbor,” she said.She said she needed detailed information about the virus, especially about the symptoms and what to do not to spread it to others.“We know about how to maintain our hygiene. But we need more information about the symptoms and how it spreads. I’m sure many residents are still in the dark,” she went on.Surakarta administration claims it has disseminated information about the novel coronavirus in public spaces such as markets, shopping centers, bus terminals and stations. Officials say they have reached out to subdistrict and even to neighborhood (RT) units.“We have to move fast so people will know what the coronavirus is,” Siti Wahyuningsih, the head of Surakarta Health Agency said on Sunday.She said the main points of the information included hygiene and good nutrition.Residents should not panic, she said, the coronavirus was the same as other viruses. “The important thing is to maintain immunity, keep up our hygiene and our health standards. We also encourage people not to get close to crowds,” she said.Surakarta Mayor FX Hadi “Rudy” Rudyatmo said his administration was serious about it and had allocated Rp 2 billion (US$ 131.8 million) for extraordinary measures.North Sulawesi administration has allocated extra funding to handle the coronavirus crisis. The funding will be used to add an isolation room as there are currently only 10 available.Manado Health Agency head Ivan Marthin said it had distributed information in the community.The North Sulawesi provincial capital has reported one COVID-19 case and Lion Air operated flights from the city to Guangzhou in China before the outbreak.Ivan acknowledged the limited information most people had about the coronavirus, but they knew that it could be deadly. “Most people know about the coronavirus from social media, that’s why we give them information about the spread, that it is not airborne,” he said.Latest research has said that the novel coronavirus is mostly likely not airborne, but this is not conclusive.Deisy Makawata, a Manado, North Sulawesi, resident, said she knew only a little about the virus. “I’m kind of in the dark. What I know, for example, is to avoid people who’ve just returned from abroad and that the virus stays on things but not in the air.”The administration in Batam in Riau Islands, which borders Singapore, says it relies on the media to spread information about the novel coronavirus because of budget constraints.Batam Health Agency Didi Kusumajadi told The Jakarta Post on Saturday that it did not have any plan to reach out to local communities.“We don’t have enough budget or manpower to go to neighborhoods. We rely on the media,” he said. But he said he had deployed medical personnel to schools to provide information.“Sometimes we get requests from companies or factories, and we do that,” he went on.He said the administration had sent a circular, telling people not to panic. He admitted that many people knew only a little about the virus.Sigit Pramono, 38, who runs a food stall, said he got information from social media. “I don’t know the symptoms in detail, I know very little,” he said.“What I know is to keep up our hygiene, maintain our immunity and avoid leaving the house if not really necessary,” he said.Sarma Siregar, an employee of a private company, said he did not know how to prevent the spread of the virus.Another resident, Susi Lee, said she had some knowledge about the virus but she learned about it from social media.Last week, the police arrested at least six people for spreading misinformation and fake news about the virus on social media.Agust Hari contributed to this story from Manado, North SulawesiTopics : Despite the country having two months to prepare for the arrival of the novel coronavirus outbreak, Indonesian people say they have limited knowledge about the virus and the disease it causes, COVID-19, and what little they know they have learned from the media or social media, not from any government institutions.Residents of Surakarta, Central Java, one of the cities reporting confirmed COVID-19 cases, said they began to get more information after Indonesia reported its first confirmed cases on March 2 and before the city reported its first death.Erlangga Bima Sakti, 23, said before the first deaths were reported in the country on March 11, he did not receive much official information about the virus. Earlier, he learned about it from the media, including social media. “There has been limited information about the virus from the government. It began to trickle after someone died,” he said.Another resident, Iwan Adi, 23, also found the information on his own from social media and news portals.“I learned about how it spread, how to prevent it, what the symptoms are, from the media. Before, there was not much from the government,” he said.Astuti Herliani, 45, a neighbor of the deceased victim in Surakarta, said a health official came to the subdistrict office and invited residents on March 14, three days after the COVID-19 patient died in Moewardi General Hospital.
84 Views 2 comments Share Sharing is caring! Share Share LocalNews Missing school girl found alive after 40 days by: – March 29, 2011 Photo credit: GIS NewsAfter being out of sight for 40 days, Shanice Jemmot, 15, of Layou has been found alive as well as the man she supposedly disappeared with.Police discovered Jemmot and Webster Edmund Monday evening in Clarke Hall, a major breakthrough in the matter which police have been blasted for not doing enough.Police said they knew what they were doing and family members of the Isaiah Thomas secondary school girl were relieved to know she was found living.“I feel happy I jump up in the house, I happy tonight,” Jemmot’s mother Josette Paul told reporters at the princess Margaret hospital where Jemmot had to be examined. She has also been taken to the Psychiatric Unit for evaluation.Dorris Paul, grandmother of Jemmot, said she had given up hope.“First time I get stressed out in my life first time”, the 70 year old said. “I tell people Webster Edmund kill my child and he kill himself,” she told reporters. But said she was extremely excited when she was told her granddaughter had been found.Chief of Police Cyril Carette said police found Jemmot in the school skirt she had been wearing the day she disappeared. Jemmot left home for school 17 February and was only noted missing when she did not return home that Thursday.She turned 15 on 13 March while still missing. “I’m really excited about it,” said Police Public Relations Officer Claude Weekes, Tuesday morning in response to Jemmot’s return. Both Edmund and Jemmot had been taken to the Criminal Investigation Department CID after they were found.Dominica Vibes News Tweet
Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. There are no comments posted yet. Be the first one! Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments by James Jordan, Sumner Newscow â€” The Wellington Heat won two games at the Bethany Bulls during the week, and were to have played again Thursday night there, before returning home for a weekend series. The Heat hosts the Dodge City Bee Jays Friday through Sunday, at 7 p.m. each day.The Heat are now 6-2, but more importantly 2-0 in the Jayhawk League as theÂ games with Bethany opened league play.As expected, the pitchers are doing well, and the hitters are getting enough hits to get the win most nights. This year’s edition relies more on hit-and-run style of play as opposed to the power hitters they had a year ago. They are probably also stronger on the mound this year as well.Brett Clark got the win while pitching Wednesday night, spreading out two runs in an 8-3 win. Ryan Baca relieved and got the save, and also pitched well assistant coach Aaron Rea said. Baca has been impressive in the relief role this season and coaches are expecting good things this year from him.JadenÂ Eggimann was three-for-four at the plate Tuesday, and on Wednesday, A.J. Duran was three-for-four hitting. Different players are rising up each night for the team so far. Eggimann had a three-run home run during the trip to Bethany.On Tuesday the Heat got a lot of hits going, and won 10-5.Coach Rea said the coaching staff has stressed throwing strikes this year, and not giving free passes through walks. They are having the pitchers challenge hitters, and letting the defense do its job in the field, and so far that is working out.Early on hitters have struggled a little, as is often the case, but they have shown some improvement lately.This weekend they expect to see a good team in the BeeJays, who are usually up there at the top of the standings along with the Heat.After this weekend, the Heat have a long road trip, and will return to Wellington for a series starting June 21.Free tickets for Friday’s game can be picked up at Penny’s Diner, and tickets for Sunday’s game can be picked up at Barefoot Jerry’s in Wellington.Â According to the Heats website, Friday is also free hot dog night.Follow us on Twitter.
The leadership of the University of Liberia (UL) graduate school comprising, the Masters of Business Administration (MBA) and those from the Masters of Public Administration (MPA), in collaboration with the Ministry of Health, over the weekend led a team of ‘fighters’ whose concerted efforts are aimed at kicking the Ebola virus disease (EVD) completely out of Grand Cape Mount County (GCMC) and the rest of Liberia.Communities the UL graduate school leadership toured are in Kenema, Tewor District in Grand Cape Mount County, Western Liberia where they also distributed anti-Ebola materials, such as hand-sensitizers, buckets for regular hand washing and nutritional food for those previously afflicted by the disease and other members of the district.The leadership, which was headed by its president Varney Fahnbulleh, and assisted by the vice president, Alomeza Ennos, and the secretary-general, G. Sylvester Nunner, also created awareness in those communities aimed at avoiding the further spread of the deadly virus.Items distributed worth over US$5000, the president confirmed when he spoke exclusively to the Daily Observer shortly after they returned from the Cape Mount tour.Apart from materials distributed and awareness, the UL graduate leadership also educated the inhabitants about safe-burial methods in the wake of the outbreak and informed the communities of how to do proper contact tracing of suspected persons carrying the Ebola virus.According to Mr. Fahnbulleh, the exercise is aimed at putting an end to any new outbreak in any part of the country, “because, we intend to carry out similar awareness and distribution in Buchanan, Grand Bassa and River Cess Counties in the coming weeks.”Meanwhile, the Kennema Town Chief, Sensee Freeman, alolng with a team of elders, commended the UL graduate school leadership for the thinking about their district in this critical time of country’s health situation.He then promised to take advantage of the awareness messages and as well distribute items they received to the most ‘vulnerable’ family members in the district.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)