Last year, Guyana said it would be working with the US based oil giant, ExxonMobil, to develop a long-term relationship founded on transparency, accountability, openness and aligned interests for the good of the country following its newfound wealth. The Guyana government on Friday “welcomed” the announcement that more than 230 feet of high quality oil bearing reservoir has been discovered at the Ranger-1 well in the Stabroek block.Sixth discoveryThis is the sixth discovery of oil off Guyana’s coast since 2015 and the David Granger government said that “this latest discovery represents the largest single find to date and adds to the quantities which have been confirmed in the five previous finds.“The news of an additional find of this magnitude, particularly, at the start of the New Year, can be seen as a further blessing and underscores the richness and diversity of Guyana’s natural resources. Managed prudently, these resources will allow for an enormous transformational effect on the lives of every Guyanese in the years ahead,” the statement said.The government said that this latest discovery is results from the partnership with Esso Exploration and Production Guyana Limited, CNOOC Nexen Petroleum Guyana Limited and Hess Guyana Exploration Limited.Bountiful discoveriesThe Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) said it is particularly pleased that its strategy of engagement with Esso Exploration/CNOOC/Hess and its partners “is leading to bountiful discoveries, and overall, the government is elated that Esso Exploration/CNOOC/Hess remain ahead of their exploration schedule for the entire Stabroek block.”Stakeholders should act responsiblyThe government said it remains committed to all efforts for the safe and efficient development of the offshore Guyana basin and was calling on “all stakeholders to act responsibly and patriotically as Guyana continues its thrust into this new sector and as news and events continue to unfold about the extent of the oil reserves offshore and the manifold opportunities and benefits for the Guyanese people.”
A day after their surprising acquisition of Marcus Stroman, the Mets stayed busy Monday by offloading veteran left-hander Jason Vargas to the Phillies. ESPN first reported the deal between NL East rivals, while the New York Post reported the Mets will get Double-A catcher Austin Bossart in return and The Athletic said the Mets are also sending cash to the Phillies. MLB trade rumors: Padres’ offers for Mets starter Noah Syndergaard have been ‘especially light’ Yankees trade rumors: Gleyber Torres ‘off limits’ in discussions for starter Vargas, 36, is 6-5 with a 4.01 ERA in 19 games this season but has been strong lately, winning three consecutive starts including Sunday against the Pirates while allowing six earned runs in 17 2/3 innings during that stretch. The 14-year MLB veteran will be joining his sixth team and brings some postseason experience after starting three games during the Royals’ run to the World Series in 2014. Vargas is making $8 million this year and his contract includes a team option for the same amount next season. The Phillies can buy out that option for $2 million. Multiple reports in recent days indicated Vargas was on the block, and sending him to Philadelphia gives Stroman a landing spot in the Mets’ rotation while boosting the Phillies’ pitching depth. The Phillies enter play Monday 6 1/2 games behind the Braves in the division and one game back in the wild-card race. Related News Bossart, 26, had a .195/.303/.335 slash line in 63 games at Double-A Reading. Moving Vargas might not be the last pitching-related move the Mets make before Wednesday’s trade deadline. The New York Post reported Monday the team is still “looking to deal” Noah Syndergaard and Zack Wheeler from the rotation, and closer Edwin Diaz’s name also has been mentioned repeatedly in recent days.